Author Topic: what is the correct carburetor for K model  (Read 796 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
what is the correct carburetor for K model
« on: November 07, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Good evening,
what is the correct carburetor for the K model.  I put a Tillotson MS93F on and the pulley assembly will hit the inlet fitting quite a bit before the pulley assembly hits its stope.  Refer to attached image.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what is the correct carburetor for K model
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:27:14 PM »
I’ve seen some indication that an early Model K could have an MS carb, but later they changed to an MT carburetor.

Maybe change to a different type of inlet fitting?
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:21:50 AM »
Good afternoon,
Thank you for the reply. I found a document that describes Tillotson model applications and it appears that the MS93F is correct.  The document lists 1949 L model and since I think the K model is from 1949 it may have used it also.  I could not recall if that carb came with that engine in the basket case when I bought it.
The link to the document is:  https://www.socalaomci.com/library/tillotson_carburetor_applications_2019.pdf

Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 11:57:55 AM »
Model L definitely came with the MT series carburetor.  The MS series carburetor was discontinued, according to the Simplex 125 manual printed in 1953. When, it doesn’t say.  I wonder if that is the reason Simplex changed over, or the fact that the MT series was a simpler carburetor to manufacture, and probably cheaper.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:54:36 PM »
There is an image in the K model publication from this site that is difficult to make out, but the carb fuel fitting sure looks like mine.
Maybe I can get this to work, but so far getting the wheel and primary belts set so there is enough slack for neutral does not work out with the BX24 and BX74 that are on it, but the pulley locations appear to match pictures of other K models.  Refer to attached image.
Thank you,
Scooter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:48:32 PM by Scooter4 »