Author Topic: Rear wheel  (Read 1797 times)

freebird914

• View Profile
Rear wheel
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »
My rear wheel is rusted and will not move, In fact on the belt side I can see a few holes that concern me. Does someone make repo rims and brakes. Not sure which way to head with this project just trying to get a roller for now engine comes later ... Time to learn new stuff I guess Thanks
Words Lie , Actions Speak.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:12 AM »
No reproduction wheels available.  Is the rim rusted through?  The drums and brake backing plates are heavy steel, and can usually be saved by a good sand blasting job. 

Spokes are available, so that is not an issue.

Are these the early narrow rims or the late style 2" wide rim?  If you are not worried about originality, Worksman makes a very heavy duty bicycle rim that can be laced into the simplex hubs and work really well.
Rick

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
How about Speedway Motorcycle wheels? I did a quick search and found they use 23 inch wheels on the front. I couldn’t find info on the width yet but they look narrow.

http://www.speedwaybikes.com/cody/index.htm

The tires are knobby but “back in the day” AJS, Matchless. BSA and most English bikes had knobby tires with no problem on the street and they were much faster than a Simplex. There may be other tire tread available for that size.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
How about Speedway Motorcycle wheels? I did a quick search and found they use 23 inch wheels on the front. I couldn’t find info on the width yet but they look narrow.

http://www.speedwaybikes.com/cody/index.htm

The tires are knobby but “back in the day” AJS, Matchless. BSA and most English bikes had knobby tires with no problem on the street and they were much faster than a Simplex. There may be other tire tread available for that size.

IMO a 23" wheel will be way too big.  With a tire mounted, I would guess the diameter to be 30" or so.  If you want to go motorcycle, look at some small off-road bikes, such as honda xl75 or something's like that.  I believe they had 20 or 21" wheels.
Rick

freebird914

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
Thank you for the advice time for research.
Words Lie , Actions Speak.