Author Topic: Kick starter for harbor freight motors available  (Read 29027 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Kick starter for harbor freight motors available
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
After talking with Wayne few weeks ago, he sent me a kick start adapter to "check out".  Sorry I didn't get a picture of it when it was on the bike, but it was a fairly simple install.  The plate with shaft installs between the motor mount plate and engine.  It comes with a gear that replaces the flywheel nut and a return spring for the kick starter also.  Works very nice.  At the present time, I decided to stay with my present set-up, but may possibly pick one up in the future.  Anyone interested can contact Wayne with questions and price.  Here's picture of it tho...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:02:35 AM by RickS »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kick starter for harbor freight motors available
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:57:36 AM »
To add to the above, Wayne is charging $220 for the kick start kit.  He is trying to send me more photo's to post and I will get them up when he gets them to me.

On a different note, I wonder if this can be adapted to the GC series motors?
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:36:46 AM »
starting them like that is cool....they need a charging system too.....like what comes on the baja bikes with that style clone.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:59 AM »
starting them like that is cool....they need a charging system too.....like what comes on the baja bikes with that style clone.

The charging system is easy.  Tons of parts for sale on eBay to do this.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
That's a cool kickstarter, but 200 bucks is a lot of money to couple to a 99 dollar motor.....

BTW, just back from several days in Chicago as my daughter just had her first child.  I already have an electric powered Indian motorcycle waiting for him to grow into!
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »
Congrats Grampa . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
I realize Wayne has time and money invested in his kick start adapter, and appreciate his allowing me to "check it out" and give him my feedback on it. But I couldn't justify the cost of buying it for my bike because like you said Mike, $200 starter for a $90 engine was hard to justify considering the pull start works just fine and doesn't really take away from the "look" of the bike (IMHO anyways).  It'll make it on my Christmas list tho. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »
IMO, the kickstart just looks right on a motorbike.  When I get to a conversion bike. I will try to adapt Wayne's starter to the GC series motors.  I will also strip all the tin off and find something to work that looks closer to the simplex flywheel cover.
Rick

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »
this what your looking for

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
Mostly Bill.  I want to do a kickstart and torque convertor drive.  That bike of your is my inspiration!  Did you make the pull start cover or do you have a connection?
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »
I agree its pricy for what it is.....but hey, he took the time to make em  Thing is with the engine laid down with the cylinder pointing back....not much will help it look cool

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
I agree its pricy for what it is.....but hey, he took the time to make em  Thing is with the engine laid down with the cylinder pointing back....not much will help it look cool

Bruce, look at the picture just above.  That is why I need to figure out a way to make it work with the GC series motors!  I'd bet most people wouldn't know that wasn't a simplex motor.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
I agree...that GC looks great in these...shouldn't be hard placing the kick really...its a distance thing...and if the engines offset to either side you may need a z bar of sorts (offset kick gear)...I'll bet it is very doable for the GC guys

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
Since the replacement engines were designed for stationary applications, the tin and flywheel are designed for cooling purposes.  In a motorbike application, could a guy get away with removing the tins & cutting the fins off the flywheel?  A more compact flywheel cover could then be fashioned.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Since the replacement engines were designed for stationary applications, the tin and flywheel are designed for cooling purposes.  In a motorbike application, could a guy get away with removing the tins & cutting the fins off the flywheel?  A more compact flywheel cover could then be fashioned.
Mike Sal

Most of these flywheels don't have any fins.  The fins are a separate plastic piece; just leave them out.
Rick