Author Topic: brake light wiring?  (Read 7265 times)

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
brake light wiring?
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
The brake light wires are run on the outside of the frame. this doesnt look right to us based on the pictures we have seen but we cant figure out how they should be run.

Can anyone give us some advice?

We are planning to enter the bike in the 2012 19th annual Costom Bike Show, April 7th & 8th here in Anchorage, and are trying to take care of a few minor details before the show.

Thanks for your help!
Pete

bill marcum

• View Profile
Re: brake light wiring?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Pete
 My bike the wires ran thru the frame to the back and out buy the rear hub then along the fender bracket to the rear license plate bracket to the tail light.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
Noticed today while cleaning the brake light switch, that it lays at rest in a normal closed position and is an open circuit when petals is depressed this has me wondering how it works anyone have a diagram of this I also can't tell witch screws are used on the lighting coil from the phelon drawing
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
My bike came with a brake light switch that came from a car (I assume he got it out of a junkyard).  It's made of plastic & they just hooked wires to the 2 terminal sticking out the back.  I haven't probed it yet to see if it's normally open or closed.

The shortest wire coming out of the magneto goes to the taillight.  The 2nd shortest wire goes to the brake light switch (then to the brake light).  I'm confused by your normally closed switch.  Any chance it's been changed by somebody that bought the wrong kind? 
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
Mike I would guess it to be original, I to am confused I can't figure out how a normally closed circuit could be wired to work. As for the wires all of mine were missing so I need to figure out where they screw on at the coils I can't make it out in the pics.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
Jeremy, I took a close look at mine (motor is still apart....will be cleaning castings tomorrow) a minute ago & The coil closest to the points is wired for the brake light and the one farthest away from the points is the tail light.  Of course the big coil that doesn't have sparkplug wires is for the headlights.

The two rear light coils are identical, so it doesn't really matter which one is which when you wire them up.

lots-o-luck
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »
That's a big help I didn't know what those little ones were I thought the one lighting coil was for everything, so I guess I should have 4 wires total counting the headlights and kill switch ?
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Here is a picture of that brakelight switch, maybe someone can tell if it is original or tell me how its suppose to work
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »
This is interesting.  Your mounting lug appears to be on "top" of the frame rail.  My lug is on bottom of the frame rail.  Your switch certainly looks period.  

I had wondered how much mine might have been monkeyed with, as the tab on the brake rod appear to be made from a thin slice of angle iron which was brazed onto the rod, rather than welded.  The lug on the frame looked to be a stock location, but I'll have to look closer.

Yes, you have a wad of wires to jam thru that little hole in the crankcase.
Mike Sal
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:17:48 AM by Mike Sal »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
Jeremy, Looking at thepictures just posted by oil lamp guy, the mystery is solved.  Turn theswitch around & hook a wire to it.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
I had to look at that quite a while, for that to start making sense. I never in a million years would have thought of that . I even have that original wire just never considered the switch being under tension at rest and activated upon release.  So easy now that I see it
Jeremy c.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
I hope y'all get it togeather before the show. You will need a second hole in the break lever for the wire on the back hub. I also ran the wires 'with a ground wire' back up to the tank mounting bracket then into the frame out the back and backside of fender bracket. trying to keep that clean look to it. Hope to see somemore pics. soon.

koops4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:47 AM »
Thank you all for the information on the brake light wiring and switch.  This will be a big help for me since all my wires are cut.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
Anyone know if Wayne is out on the run again?  I've not been able to get in touch with him.  I'm wanting to order a new brake switch & some other stuff.  Maybe i"ll take a picture of Jeremy's switch to the parts store to see if they can match it.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
I have been calling him too.  Just when you want to order something. Hope is back soon, I need to order some parts too.Hope he is getting some more parts for us! Bill Marcum 8)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:56:16 PM by bill marcum »