Author Topic: Cool Simplex with non original engine at the Gilmore automotive museum!  (Read 5314 times)

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
Went to the Gilmore Automotive museum in Hickory Corners Michigan, A place filled wth Duesenburgs, Packards, Auburns Pierce Arrow etc...I come around the corner in a room designated for vintage Hotrods and here sits a cool old Simplex with a unique engine set up thinking a 47? someone built a cool barn find looking bike! Even has a kicker!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:13:49 PM by relic »
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
That is a cool motor. 

The Gilmore estate is very cool.  Did you check out that giant back seat used in the old Disney movie?  Our Studebaker club held a meet there one time & I had lots of time to drool over all the stuff in all the barns. 
Mike Sal

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah that place is sooo cool! we were there for about 3 hours..I have been there before but always see something new everytime i go there! luckily im only about 45 min from there! There is always something going on there in the summer!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
I thought they used a Maytag washer motor but thay kick on the left and are smaller. I wonder what motor that is?  ??? ???

Carl

• View Profile
If you look at the name on the tank you might get a hint as to what the motor is. Johnson made several motors from the mid 1930s into the 50s called the "Johnson Iron Horse". The motors were used on washing machines or anything needing a small motor. I might be wrong as the pics are hard for me to see but it looks like one to me. Someone correct me if I am.
Carl
Carl,
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
USA

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you look at the name on the tank you might get a hint as to what the motor is. Johnson made several motors from the mid 1930s into the 50s called the "Johnson Iron Horse". The motors were used on washing machines or anything needing a small motor. I might be wrong as the pics are hard for me to see but it looks like one to me. Someone correct me if I am.
Carl

Carl, you do know that if you click on the picture they enlarge?
Rick

Carl

• View Profile
I know but it is a combination of a 2 inch screen, outdated eyeglasses and 67 year old eyes. I can correct the first two but not the last one. Carl
Carl,
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
USA

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know but it is a combination of a 2 inch screen, outdated eyeglasses and 67 year old eyes. I can correct the first two but not the last one. Carl

Just making sure you knew.  BTW, I corrected the last one.  I had LASIK done 2 years ago,  I can see the clay targets much better now!
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
At least I was right about it being a washing machine motor just off on the brand.
Yea, Rick can see the clay pigeons now but can he hit any thats the question?  By the way how do you cook clay pigeons?  I hear they taste like dirt. Lol

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
At least I was right about it being a washing machine motor just off on the brand.
Yea, Rick can see the clay pigeons now but can he hit any thats the question?  By the way how do you cook clay pigeons?  I hear they taste like dirt. Lol

They have an earthy quality about them, a little gritty.  LOL   I hit them more than most people do!   When my son and I first started 2 years ago, we were hitting in the 40's out of 100 on the sporting clays course.  Now, if I don't hit 75-80, I feel I didn't have a good day!  That sport is addicting, and expensive!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cheaper than drag racing tho?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cheaper than drag racing tho?