Author Topic: Hello From Michigan  (Read 3486 times)

bradhair

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello From Michigan
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
I have my dads 1958 Simplex Automatic. My Grandpa purchased the bike in Grand Rapids Michigan in 1958 or 1959. This is a picture of my dad when he was 14 years old. He just rode it to a antique show last weekend. I will post more pictures.

bradhair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello From Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
My Brother, Dad, and I in 1971.

bradhair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
Myself, My Dad and my brother at antique Picnic near Lansing, Michigan.

Vince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
Very cool!

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »
What happened to the wind shield? It prob wasn't very cool back in the day....and was removed. Nice...love the history. Welcome to the site.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »
This is so disgusting.......you don't know how envious I am that you have those photos & those memories.  Really really cool.

Please share the frame number & motor number with us so we can get your bike into the registry. 
Mike Sal

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:08:31 PM »
bradhair thats a cool bike! I live in Grand Rapids Michigan! I would be interested to know where in Grand Rapids your dad purchased the bike from? There were many different motorcycle shops in Grand Rapids back then! I just sold one that had been sitting in Grand Haven Michigan since 1964...who knows maybe they came from the same place??
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

bradhair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
The windshield used to hang on the wall in my grandpas barn but went missing about five years ago! bummer!
  The bike was purchased at John Esler sales on leonard st in GR Mich in 1958 Frame #15292 Eng #M23408B
The big question I have for the pro's is the bike is all original (except piston&bore by Wayne) I am happy with the tin & original wear but the rims and spokes are rusty and chipped should I re-lace and paint? or keep it the way time meant it to be?

Thanks bradhair

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
Hmmm....here's another example of a bike that the frame number indicates a late '56 or early '57, but was purchased in '58 (did grandpa buy it new, or maybe slightly used?).  Your bike is 43 units later than mine (15249).

I think if it was mine, I would refinish the wheels & leave the rest alone.  Don't be surprised if you find that the races & bearing cups need replaced.  Also, take care when removing the drive pulley from the rear wheel.  They tended to rust where moisture & dirt collect between it and the rim. 
Mike Sal

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
Hello and Welcome . Thats so neat to have grown up  living the history of your bike and shared it with the other family members .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Welcome bradhair . :)

I and my bike are also from West Michigan . I  also bought my bike ( very well used ) when I was 14 . I paid all of $15 for it .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

bradhair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Mike yes it was lightly used. but it was purchased titled and registered in 1958. I would not doubt that left over 56 & 57 where sold as 58. I don't think at the time it made much different's  they probably never thought they would last 50 plus years.