Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 18860 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Conversion
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »
Got my mounting plate, clutch, jack shaft and bearings from Wayne tonight. Looks like it is gonna be pretty simple to assemble. That's the way I like it! I am spray painting the plate tonight, and hope to start mounting things tomorrow after work. Wayne said I will have to do some tweaking on the exhaust and breather, but I am planning on making another exhaust and getting a different breather eventually. I am hoping I can put everything together and get it running and then work on it more this winter.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Get cracking!  When is the next parade for kettle corn?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »
Post pics along the way . Please . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »
I'm doing a plate for standing one up with a tav soon...I noticed men's sportsman has around 5\8" more room...matters with a 212

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
Hey Bruce, what happened?  We didn't see you at Portland.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
I had to meet a Realtor on the weekend and couldn't really break free. I really wanted to go too but next year I'll be living there so shouldn't be a problem. I seen all the neat pics....nice

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
Got the motor in and clutch on. Some things w/ Wayne's conversion parts...brake linkage is gonna have to be altered to make it fit right, It hits one of the motor mount bolts, I can get it hooked up, but it drags and don't let the pedal return, not a biggy. The plate didn't line up just right, but I was able to jockey it around and get bolts in the holes and then tighten them up and seems to be good now. The stock breather and muffler from the predator motor isn't gonna work. Wayne told me some of the breather housing plastic could be cut to make it fit right, but I don't see any way it can be altered to fit. I may have motor too far back, but I wasn't planning on using stock breather any way. After market breather from omb warehouse $26...got it on the way. Wayne also told me the stock exhaust would have to be bent out to fit in the frame. This is also true, but I am gonna make my own any way. The clutch went together and mounted up great...really easy. May need to make some more adjustments, but for now I have fired motor up and had rear wheel spinning. Another thing, the stock throttle grip only throttles the motor to about half throttle, so I am prob gonna have to buy a different throttle control, I was hoping that I could use the stock one, but it don't look possible unless I can get some more travel from it. Not complaining about any of the parts or process, just wanting to let others know what they may run into if they plan on doing the same thing. All in all it has been very easy so far, and I would recommend this kit to anyone. Also looks pretty good. Haven't got the kicker yet, but Wayne called and said it is on the way, so everything is gonna have to come back off to get it mounted.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Move the connection point for the throttle cable closer to the pivot, this will decrease the amount of travel needed to open the throttle all the way.

As for the brake issue, do you have a clevis up front?  If so, maybe a new brake rod with a 90 degree bend either incise or outside the bolt might work.

Post some pictures so we can see it!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:41:54 PM by RickS »
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
The brake rod I have already has a 90 deg bend in it, and only has enough room to slide in one way. I was hoping I could just turn it around and slide it in from the other side, but not enough room. Prob gonna have to rig up a clevis of some sort. The rod is also too long now with the new set up, there isn't enough adjustment to engage the brake, as the rear wheel is closer to the motor now with the new belt. I might have to make a whole new rod the right length. Took it to my father inlaw's shop today and plan on tinkering with it on tues. I'll try o get some pictures then.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
The earlier bikes used a clevis on both ends.  This would be easy to add. Just cut rod to the proper length and thread the end.  This will probably buy you the room you need.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
I was thinking something along those lines, I'll let you know how it goes. If I move the conduit for the throttle cable closer I still don't think it will have enough travel to throttle the motor all the way.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 03:08:21 AM »
Look at throttle plate and you will see a throttle stop screw that makes contact with a vertical tab.  Move the screw outward to allow the throttle to open up more.  Most engines are set from factory at about 1/2 to 3/4 max throttle.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
Got the exhaust made and mounted, still needs paint, but you can still get the idea. The inner pipe is 3/4 conduit and the outer pipe is a chain link fence post. The outer pipe will serve as a heat shield and muffler threads on to the conduit. The muffle and heat shield will be able to be removed. Still need some brackets for support....any suggestions as to what I should use?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
Looks good.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
James, how about an update and show the kick start installed!
Rick