Author Topic: muffler  (Read 5060 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
muffler
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:09:35 AM »
I'm considering replacing the muffler/exhaust on my bike for something that's a bit quieter than the small engine replacement type that's on it now.  What have others used that's similar in shape? (cylindrical) I want to keep exhaust location I have.

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: muffler
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »
Any tractor supply will have some you could alter easy.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
That's where I got this and was told it would be "fairly quiet" but isn't, so was looking for peoples opinion who've actually put one on their 6.5hp engine.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
I used the same type of muffler that you did on my 3 wheel truck.  I think if you move the muffler closer to the end of the pipe that it would be quieter.  Another suggestion would be to search for Go Kart mufflers.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:51:40 AM »
Both good suggestions that I will try unless I can find a different one I like.  Kind of leary about hanging to much weight too far back on the pipe from the mounting bracket.  Suppose another option is to just make one and fill it with some steelwool/glass packing I have left over from a Yoshi.   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »
Both good suggestions that I will try unless I can find a different one I like.  Kind of leary about hanging to much weight too far back on the pipe from the mounting bracket.  Suppose another option is to just make one and fill it with some steelwool/glass packing I have left over from a Yoshi.   

Make another bracket that hangs off the fender brace? 

That is one of the downsides to the GX style motors.  The laid back cylinder and the exhaust location make it hard to put the exhaust down low, further ways from earshot.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:43 AM »
That, and in my case, the saddlebags.  It's not "bad" now, but one of those little things that could be "tweaked" in the future.  I could put a little bigger pipe off the back of the existing muffler and install a baffle maybe too.  I'll look around the shop at work and see what's available to work with I guess. 

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
Try using a muffler tip off a old style VW bug. That may knock down some of the noise.  ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Just a pic of the fishtail exhaust I made.  I also made a removable sound baffle that slips in from the end and really quieted it down nicely. 

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Looks good Paul...is that paint the shiny stuff, or the satin finish you told me about? I ended up painting mine flat black with the 1300 - 2000 degree paint. Looks ok, but I would prefer it was shinier like yours.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
Carryall, what size is that pulley that drives the rear belt, and what kind of speed do you get out of it?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
That's the paint I sent pic of/recommended. I ended up sand blasting off the "ceramic crap" because it got kind of grey/clouded near exhaust port.  It's labeled "satin black", but take your time, do light coats, and let it cure, and it's as shiny as my year old gloss black frame (LOL) and holds up to exhaust temps fine as you see.  I've run/experimented with a couple different sized secondary pulleys (3.25" - 4.5") but latest set-up is a 4" pulley, with driven clutch at setting #1 (softest shifting of the 3 settings)  I can get up to, and cruise comfortably at 45mph quickly, and smoothly without using "full throttle". Did a little carb work like .035 jet, GX140 E-tube, opened up intake and air filter and made the bigger/more free flowing exhaust. (governor still hooked up but "tweeked" a little)  I'm 175lbs.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
This is some good information on pully size.Because I would like to run a big pully on my newest bike. Too keep the paint or chrome looking good on your exhaust try painting the inside of the pipe with a cheep spray paint. You let it dry and when you run it it burns the paint to form a carbon heat shield.  Just something I have been told. I painted mine and the paint hasnt come off yet.  8)