Author Topic: Kickstand solution?  (Read 1844 times)

MrMayor

• 1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford truck
    • View Profile
Kickstand solution?
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
Here is one solution to fix how your bike leans over too much when using the kickstand.  Just unbolt the kickstand (using two 9/16" end wrenches), then bolt it back on, except upside down.  The lean of the bike is now perfect but the kickstand must be only used on a hard surface since the tubing now faces down.  The lean angle is then perfect.

My kickstand had a weld on the side of it where it should rub the kickstand bracket, (but it did not rub when in the conventional location), when being operated.  Not sure if that was a factory thing. 
1957 Simplex, 1933 Ford hot rod pickup

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kickstand solution?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Not a fan of this method, for the reason you stated.  I also don't like how far down the kickstand will hang when in the up position.  If you lean the bike, it may hit the ground, and that could cause a disaster.

I have extended one kickstand, and this worked great.  I also think one could reposition the mounting bracket 10 degrees or so, and that would work.

See here:  http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=636.0

Here are a couple of pictures for comparison.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:19:31 AM by RickS »
Rick

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
When leaning the bike over with this alteration the crash bar hits the ground before the kickstand does.  This change is easy, free, and non-permanent so that I don't need to carry around a 2 by 4 anymore to prevent dumping my bike when parked.

The kickstand tubing on my machine has a 3/8" blob of a weld on the side of it that perfectly indexes with the 2 holes drilled in the kickstand bracket to limit its travel.  Does anyone else have one like this?   

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:54:16 PM »
That is actually supposed to be a pressed in pin with a round head on it some are welded on the back side Wayne sells new ones if you need one...when a new one is installed the kickstand really clicks into position well. Here is a couple of pics of one that has some wear on it...
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

MrMayor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
Yours looks great and I like how it locks in position.  I will call Wayne for the one he sells.