Author Topic: Portland 2015  (Read 32050 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Re: Portland 2015
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
We drove straight through and made it home at 3:30 am. 13 1/2 hr drive. This was the first time we have driven it in one day. Popcorn was slow this yr, and the muck and mud made it challenging, but all in all we had a good time. I have some pics to post, but that will have to wait til I get caught up on some much needed rest. lol Nice to see all of you again!

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
James I enjoyed your share of the dinner. We had a good time even with the rain. We will be heading out Tuesday morning heading for pigeon forge to do the rollercoaster there and then turn towards home. That's not counting on the stop at a Bojangles chicken for some great chicken. Well I didn't take but eight or so pictures so Tom has to post some pics soon.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
Sonya & I drove home last night after the banquet, just under 300 miles.  Went thru a pretty strong rain in Indianapolis & took a 2 hour nap at a rest area.  Got home right at 3am.

Sorry to have missed so many of you.  Next year won't have a reunion to interfere so will be able to come sooner.....we'll be like the old timers....come early, leave early.....

They had separate cash door prizes for kids under 12...that was a nice idea....

Reese won the long distance award!  I came up goose egg for any door prizes....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
I spoke with Darren for a while before I left.  I voiced Tom's and my concern about the number of rental golf carts that clog up the pathways.  To my surprise, he said there were only 2 or 3 private rentals there, the other rentals were all for club staff use!  I said they seemed to be in the way of the scooters, and he seemed to believe this was because of all the mud and couldn't pull of the paths.  This is very possible, and we shall see if it is better next year.

We also spoke of moving the banquet up a day, to Sunday night.  He has been considering this, but is concerned that there will not be enough time to get all the events in, such as the rides, poker run, kids games, auction, etc.

I also let Darren know how much we all appreciate how much work he does to keep the club running!  I told him I know people are quick to complain, but almost never express thanks when things go well.  If you run into Darren next year, let him know how much his efforts are appreciated!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
I didn't take many pictures, but here are a couple.

The first two are Wayne's golf cart. Check out the motor. Anyone want to guess what is under the hood?

The next 2 are the Simplex with Gravely L motor.  The bike is awesome, but the price is also!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
onan?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
onan?

No, motor is the stock OMC 2 cylinder, but the supercharger is from a Mini Cooper!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
I take my hat off to Ernie for keeping Travis rolling on two wheels when he couldn't even walk otherwise.  Thanks again Ernie!  I will be calling you soon.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
I'm a little disturbed I couldn't attend being only 2 hours away..you all know it's been wet a lot here in indiana...so the week before I'm scratching like I got mange all on my neck and arms...eventually I get worried cuz I'm using chemicals all around the house etc and I thought maybe I was having a reaction . I wasn't but when I went to the clinic they sent me to the hospital to be treated for severe gnat bites.  I guess stepping out onto the porch to smoke isn't so smart,even though there's a bug wacker there and tiki torches going often.
  So, steroids and antibiotics and cremes to treat me and by Friday I was thinking maybe Saturday I'd drive up....nope....new bites,and knowing it was damp there I couldn't take the chance.  It's subsiding mostly now but I stay in a lot too.
 So,bugs ruined my plans ....and I've never had an issue before moving here or this year.
   Now I'm thinking maybe I can attend the buckeye scooter meet there in early sept. Isn't the same but least something.
   Following online I noticed a few things besides those goofy carts cluttering the roads.
  Opening the fairgrounds to early birds Sunday...5 days before the official first day...guarantees only one thing in my view.  The meets over when it starts mostly. I heard it was emptying sat...if that's so they need to change something.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »
The fairgrounds will not keep the early birds out.  Simply put, they want the camping money.  IMHO, if not for the weather, most people stay through Sunday, and either leave Sunday night or Monday morning.  Next year I will be going at least a day, maybe two, earlier.

Bruce, are you getting anywhere on those trucks?
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
Still on the trip home stopped in Pigeon Forge to ride the foster and this was the view from the hotel. We're still enjoying the town but we will need to go over bigger mountains later.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 06:16:46 AM »
The trucks at a standstill but I've gathered some stuff for it .I know I keep saying soon but things come up.
 The engine choice is kinda tough when I look at starting and charging systems. On the one hand harbor freight is easy,cept it doesn't charge...and that TAV requires a seperate bigger driven unit than it comes with and two clutches(like ricks)..looked at the differential axle from northern tool....it'll need a seperate clutch ahead of it adding another belt which I think will look cluttered...then there's the whizzer engine..electric start is doable...and then your right back at how to clutch it.
  I'll get to it before summers end though.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 06:56:40 AM »
The trucks at a standstill but I've gathered some stuff for it .I know I keep saying soon but things come up.
 The engine choice is kinda tough when I look at starting and charging systems. On the one hand harbor freight is easy,cept it doesn't charge...and that TAV requires a seperate bigger driven unit than it comes with and two clutches(like ricks)..looked at the differential axle from northern tool....it'll need a seperate clutch ahead of it adding another belt which I think will look cluttered...then there's the whizzer engine..electric start is doable...and then your right back at how to clutch it.
  I'll get to it before summers end though.

You are making this harder than it has to be Bruce.  Those 6.5 hp chines motors are available with electric start and charging coils.  Electric problem solved.  You can buy the driver and driven clutches separately, as well as whatever belt you need.  As for the outboard clutches, if I do it again, I would just use solid pulleys to see what happens.  Much cheaper than clutches, and quieter too!  Those pulley clutches do rattle a bit when idling.

Did you build a tailgate yet?
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
So you don't think each wheel needed the clutch allowing slippage?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
So you don't think each wheel needed the clutch allowing slippage?

Jim Lokai has done them both ways, and he said he couldn't feel much difference.  He also has one that uses a lawn mower center differential, and he said that is the same as the others.
Rick