Author Topic: POWDER COATING or paint  (Read 7056 times)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
POWDER COATING or paint
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
I see posts on here all the time, should I paint or powder coat? if your comparing a spray can with powder, I guess maybe you need to spray bomb. if you want a pro job get it powder coated. unless you do painting or have a buddy in the bodyshop business, get it powder coated. most bodyshops wont even take in a job like this, and if they do, itll be a lot more than powder coating. powder comes in any color you want, just look at one companys color selection, www.prismaticpowders.com .  I hear all the time, well just how good is powder coating. well lets see, all lawn furniture you  buy is powder coated, all car wheels from the factory and after market are powder coated, all motorcycles are powder coated. so you see, just about everything you pick up is. nobody in production paints anymore. ALL bmw cars and bikes are clear powder coated. is it bullet proof, NO, but much better than paint. its very hard to remove verus paint. it wont peel like paint and will outlast most of us on this site for many years. to do a simplex frame in black, including blasting shouldnt be much more than 150.00. ive been in the business 20 years and if ya all have any questions, ild be happy to answer them. www.millerpowdercoating.com

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
Re: POWDER COATING or paint
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Can powder be applied over a small Bondo patch?
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
no bondo, it wont hold up to heat during the curing. jbweld high temp can be used in very small amounts, such as pitting or something like that. there are things on the market that claim to work, but ive not had good luck with them. best method is to work the metal straight
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:25:58 PM by bjm »

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
if any of you went to sema this year, you might have seen this 32 ford roadster that was built by bryan fuller. we did all the coatings on the car. its a 4 wheel drive, crazy looking thing. it was built for jet hot.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »
Well the guy that powdered coated my bike just used powder coat as a primer then sanded it smooth. Then he powdered coated over it with what ever color you ask for. Shoot he even did the Simplex logo on the tank.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
Would silver solder hold during curing ? I know silver solder has a fairly high melting point , but exactly ???
And , is the curing temperature for powder coat 400° ? And then for how long ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
That would hold up to 400° easily , but trying to smooth that out is not a easy job. You know its kicking my butt on the cover I'm trying to build. So I say good luck my friend.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:29 PM »
I know 'things' have to be right when silver soldering , Reese . It can be a bear if something isn't just right .
I've had fair luck with it over the years .

relic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
In my humble opinion, I wound only powder coat something only if it had never been rusted or was perfectly smooth metal otherwise you see every imperfection because most of the time the average Joe does not have the expertise to properly metal finish the part...if everything is nice then its ok!
The bitterness of poor quality, lingers long after the sweetness of low cost!

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 05:48:17 AM »
yes, you can either use a powder primer or powder color and put on multible coats, sanding in between coats. I did that on my air force model. only problem is to get your average shop to do that, but it does work well. my fenders had a lot of pitting, but you cant tell now. guess I did about 5 coats that time
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:50:42 AM by bjm »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »
Well I am trying to do two bikes this winter one powder coated and one paint, I hope! I've got a new tip for my pin stripper a duel liner, one big and one small. It may give that little flair of wonder and mystic about it.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »
Getin' kinda fancy there , Reese . ;)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
a couple fresh Ms for the 48s were building. POWDER COATED of course

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
I have a big Kettle Korn popper that that is needing blasted and refinished. It is about a 3' cube, and has 2 big kettles, 1 that is welded in and the other is the receiving kettle that is mounted in the front when cooking, and a big propane burner mounted underneath. My question is, can it be powder coated when it gets so hot? It is made with 1" tubing frame and then covered with a thing gauge steel. Next question is how much would it cost to blast and powder coat something like this if it is possible?

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »
ild have to see a pix of it, but if a flame is on the pot, No it will burn right off. other parts may be able to be coated