Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167160 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Right Paul, lean mixture next, I'll look at carb air leaks and not enough back pressure on the wide open stub exhaust which leans a carb jetted for a factory muffler system. I'll read the plug first. The next step is jetting. Too rich will also afterfire, but given my setup that is doubtful. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
With a short, or less back-pressure exhaust, you'll usually get a popping or backfire upon deceleration in my experience.  Especially from higher rpm's.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Paul thanks for the input. High rpm at this point about 3,500 and I'm not certain all the backfire is occurring upon deceleration, though that is the preponderant observation.  I experimented with added back pressure after I read the plug which showed I'd been running running lean. I inserted a temporary baffle and just clamped it in place and it really helped. I then pulled the air cleaner and the backfire increased but not to the level experienced before inserting the make shift baffle. I'm running lean for sure with the straight pipe, so  that's part of it.

I let things cool down and pulled the exhaust, the copper ring gasket showed the evidence of a leak where my shop built manifold had not uniformly compressed the gasket. It looks like I cut the steel flat ring a bit oversize and was pulling against the inside contour of the head just ahead of the exhaust port just a fraction before the gasket is engaged to form a 360 degree seal. I took great pains to ensure that the manifold components were welded true, but evidently misjudged the final fit up. A couple of minutes spent with the file on the offending steel ring and all looks looks good to go at the exhaust manifold.

One other item I need to spend some time on is making sure there are no leaks at the carb. Nothing obvious at this point, just need to make sure, because that also will lean a mixture

I'd like to report all runs smooth, but since the throttle cable decided to pull loose from the lead head in the throttle housing I'm kinda waiting on the new cable now, but have to think I'm closer to a solution than I was yesterday...progress. If I need to run richer jetting that's not bad, but I'd rather get all the buggers sorted first.  Rick C.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2017, 05:51:40 PM »
Maybe I missed it , but , which carb are you running ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
Pete it's a Japanese built Mikuni...same as I used with the Simplex Gator/

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2017, 06:17:36 AM »
Sounds like you have it all under control.  FYI, I've had pretty good luck making barrels from lead sinkers and silver solder for odd-ball cables in the past.  Takes a little finesse with a small hand file to finish but, never had one break afterward.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:24 AM »
I've used silver solder for reattaching cable ends with good results , too .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
Thanks guys I'd not thought about silver soldering the keeper barrel/ balls to cable ends...creative problem solvers!
I'd think the careful application of silver solder to new cables could be preventative as well? This is the second time this year on different throttle setups and once last year on a brake cable. Fortunate no harm done and close to home at that, but...  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
Maybe build your own cables ?
If you have to redo what you're buying  ...

Heck , you pretty much build everything else involved .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
Making things is fun Pete. I finally found the photo I've had in mind that explains at a glance how the leaning wheel design looks in action. The side car looks like a kayak to me. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
" Making things is fun Pete.  "

I agree and it's specially so when those things actually work . ;)

Almost looks like that gal might be pushing that kayak . LOL

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »
I had the idea of something similar to that using a U-joint from a cars driveshaft.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
Paul the repurposed U joint for frame to bike connection is quite feasible.

Pete that gal appears so at ease that she could well be working a kayak on a tranquil stretch of river. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »
I thought I had the after fire problem solved but still experiencing some, though the short baffle I made and installed works amazingly well in quieting the short exhaust note. I still have a hard time believing it's so quiet. It actually quieter than the Simplex at idle. I've some new exhaust gaskets on order which I hope will seal the leak. I knew the used one wasn't going to be a long term solution as it was in pretty bad shape. The backfire is occurring under acceleration only.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:18 AM »
Rick C ,

If the new exhaust gaskets don't seal the leak , I have some exhaust manifold gasket material that I used to make a gasket for my '57 . It's fairly thick stuff and has sealed the manifold to cylinder nicely . That , where a stock gasket failed .
If you want to try cutting your own gasket , let me know and I can send you some material . I have way more than enough to last me ... Note that is not easy to cut/shape .