Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167214 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2017, 06:12:55 AM »
Pete thanks for your input and offer. I will take you up on it if what I have planned is unsuccessful. I should have the new gaskets in hand by Saturday. They appear to be both thicker and larger in diameter. I ordered several, just in case. The leak is at the top of the gasket which makes sense when one thinks of assembly with the ring inserted first, it settles at the lowest point leaving only a narrow contact patch at the top. A larger diameter would be very good to offset this, as would a thin spacer inserted at the base of the gasket to help center while tightening. If the gaskets ordered are not substantially thicker I plan on double stacking the gaskets, which would probably "blow out" in short order but hold long enough to verify the leak as the main or only problem. Not having extra gaskets prevented me trying this earlier. Reuse of a damaged gasket was not a permanent fix, but did show a short improvement in the problem. At any rate I'll not adjust or change out any other components until I have a good seal at the exhaust. Chasing a problem with multiple solutions before eliminating an obvious one is a sure fire way to frustrate a happy outcome. One extra thing I noticed when checking for spark before initial startup was that the intensity and color seemed a bit weak. It was during the day so I plan on checking this out as well in more subdued lighting conditions after fixing the leak...original Chinese plug so an NGK replacement is in hand.

Again Pete I thank you for the very kind offer. I'll keep you informed.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »

In case the NGK doesn't show much better than OEM , you might consider an iridium plug . In previous motors with weak spark , I've used iridium plugs . They have shown immediate and very noticeable  improvement .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
Pete that's another good suggestion and once I see clearly the quality of the spark with a fresh plug I'll be guided to do just that, but I want to first eliminate the coil, plug wire and ground as problematic areas. Lastly I have a new CDI as well that can be swapped. When I have a decent spark on a fresh standard plug then the Iridium will be frosting on the cake. They really are quite superior plugs and on my little 2 cycle engines I've noticed an immediate improvement in power and all around performance when switching to Iridium.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 10, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
Spring time here in Indian territory, fruit trees are in full bloom...really pretty and I'm cleaning and servicing my bikes...3 mountain bikes and 5 motorized bicycles along with motorcycles. I got to thinking about how varied the opportunities are to take to the road on two wheels. Though I ride daily year round, not on ice and snow or during pouring rain, I'm a full time cycle guy and seldom drive anywhere except to haul big stuff to and from. I realize at 70 years young this is kind of an oddity yet it's what I do. To me it's a reward and brings joy, building is important to me...but riding is the magic that makes it really worthwhile. This said my friends I hope that all of you are riding frequently and having the time of your life this Spring and year round.  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
Not quite spring here, we are having about 6" of snow today!  In a few more years I am planning on retiring and moving to a warmer climate.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 10, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
Rick I'm serious about feeling bad for you guys this winter, as ours has been so mild while you've been just hammered by a series of weather events. One of my favorite areas in our beautiful country is upstate N.Y. For several years I had business which required that I travel several times a year to Ithaca, Cornell University and I loved the area and the good people of that region, but always feared being snowed in which I narrowly escaped twice waiting for flights out of Syracuse. I hated the few trips I took in Winter & could never live there year round, but adjusting to our tornado season in Oklahoma is horrible to adjust to for those relocating here (not that I'd think this is an area you would be considering). So plan well leading up to your retirement & locate wisely. Stay safe...Spring will come. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: March 10, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
Rick, I spent 4 months on OKC back in 1989.  I'm thinking the Lake Norman region of North Carolina for retirement.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 10, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
Charlotte area is extremely nice and that's a beautiful lake, big sucker too! We always liked to vacation in the area around Ashville and sent our kids to Summer camp for a month each year nearby, my son to Camp Rockmont and my daughter to the girls Camp Greystone nearby Ashville. They enjoyed it so much that it became a tradition each summer during their Jr. and Sr. High years. North Carolina is a beautiful choice for retirement, in my opinion, with wonderful outdoor opportunities and adventures even for old guys and their beautiful families. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »
While cleaning bikes I decided to eliminate 2 bicycles and 2 motor bicycles, instead of building more storage...motorcycles, go carts and trucks are next. I know I'll just build more but I'll address that down the road. The Simplex and Harley will stay put.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
There are always rafters that could be used for hanging 'things' from . ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
Pete the rafters and attic are about full already...building storage is probable, but some removal continues.

Iridium plug was added to to my Simplex CG 125, but haven't started it yet. I'll update after I start and ride a few times. One plug cost exactly the same as four regular N G K plugs, so it will be the last one I buy unless there is a remarkable difference in overall performance. It was N G K gaped at .033 which is dead in the middle of recommended factory spec.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
Rick C ,

IIRC , I had best performance from the iridium plugs after I narrowed the gap a bit from preset . I think I ended plug checks at about .028" and ran that for a number of years in my Honda .

BUT , every system is different , so ???

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »
Pete the Iridium N G K did make a notable difference without changing factory gap setting better throttle response and starting both cold and hot. Started from cold well with the standard but better with the Iridium. Hot starts were not always easy before now it's just kick and go! I can now cold start without choke engaged and the plug reads perfect as it was a bit rich with the regular N G K. Four times the cost but well worth it for my Simplex Copper Gator. I've yet to install one in the Harley Peashooter.

Are you heading back North anytime soon?  The mosquito's are voracious down on the Gulf Coast and eat "Snowbirds" alive, lol. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 23, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
Another positive review on iridium plugs , which I was pretty sure would be the case . ;)

We're currently on the Mississippi gulf coast ( Long Beach ) until about the first week of April .
Then it'll be a meander Northward .
The little buggers are 'noticeable' here too . :(
I must have had two or three try to get me last night . Usually they don't bother with a sour old soul  like me . 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
Pete glad to hear your on the move and hope the stay in Texas was pleasant. I always thought I'd retire aboard a boat while plying up and down on the Gulf coast with a couple of months over to the Bahamas, for variety, but I'm still land locked in Indian Territory and good with that. When I sold my company in Houston I had my Captain's license...six pack, and owned a 54 foot Oyster Bay sport fisherman aboard which I often ran the Mississippi coast line and intercoastal waterway. Of course I'd been a blue water navigator for more than two decades by then. I really enjoyed the lifestyle on the water during that four year period, but family business called me back to my roots and I really believe it was the best thing I've ever done moving back "home" though I envy your moving about at will and the experiences that you must encounter during your travels and over your stays...priceless!  Rick C.