Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166969 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #585 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
Got parts in today and attached the leaf spring stack to the girder fork. Photos show the 2 quills I'll use. I cut one of these quills off & inserted it in the steer tube from the top with the bolt head towards the bottom & attached the spring pack with it. I then drilled to 3/8" holes in the 1/4" thick fork plate & bolted the spring pack to the plate using the square U bolt. The spring is solidly attached & that's a fact. The second quill for the handle bars works as normally intended to hold the handle bars securely.

Actually the quill bolt attached through the spring pack doesn't bear much load but plays an important part in lateral stability and absolutely guarantees the fork won't rock front to back when the spring deflects down to follow the suspension movement. I'm not a fan of welding springs in place& this was super easy to assemble once I decided how to do it. 

Next will be the spring rod to rocker lever connections.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »
Photos:

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #587 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Rick, that looks super!  You need to use nickel plated acorn nuts on the ends of the u-bolt, as that will look old school.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:02 AM »
Thanks Rick & I'll have to snag some acorn nuts for that purpose. I got started early this a.m. and have my measurements in mind to cut the rods & tubes for the spring to rocker connection later today. A few bits left to fab & then it's just final fit and assembly, that plus cleanup, paint & perhaps some decorative flourishes. I think I'll just mount it to the bike as if it's already perfect rather than test ride it prior to painting and if I have to pull it back off for alterations and nick the paint. I'll paint it again...satin black is pretty forgiving to apply.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 14, 2018, 04:48:59 AM »
This is what I came up with for a leaf fork. I'll put it on the shelf while I work on the hand lever shift and the rear  disc brake conversion/final drive ratio change, but feel I'll have most of this sorted out in the next couple of weeks and have the new fork installed as well.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2018, 07:21:01 PM »
Simplex hand shift lever conversion from a foot shift got a tryout today & while it worked the 5 speed box ok; it needs some refining. The main concern was the shift lever itself being too short & too far forward as well. I think perhaps a longer & curved lever will bring it to hand & allow sufficient engine clearance without extending the lever further out from the frame. The linkage using the Heim joints was fine, just need to size the fasteners & tidy the bits and pieces to insure long term dependability.   Rick C.

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
That is just incredible work. I'm amazed at what you can do.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Making things has been & is a great joy. I hope you are doing well & great to see you post up again. Let us know how things are going down in the "big easy".   Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 19, 2018, 07:47:43 AM »
Bushings for the leaf fork are scheduled for delivery today. If so that should do it for fork parts & I'll make an effort to get that mounted on the Simplex tomorrow. I'm still working on the shift conversion, close but it still doesn't suit me.

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 20, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »
I've been trying to get ahead of myself...again. I still need to extend, strengthen and close in the girder drop out before mounting the fork to the bike, strengthening, adding length to allow the use of larger tires during the suspension cycle & preventing separation of the rocker pivot from the fork drop out.  I also need to fabricate a band to tie the two longer pack leaves together. I'm again just guessing, but I think these two leaves will adequately suspend the bike. If not I'll tie all three into the pack. I now view the shortest leaf as rebound control/stop. 

I actually let life interfere with working on bikes yesterday.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 29, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
I made a band and roller to keep the two longer (bottom) leaves of the spring pack working together during the complete suspension cycle & lengthened the fork legs about 2" to prevent wheel/tire lockup with the spring pack during spring compression. I also closed the fork drop outs & they are now bolt through's at this critical fork pivot point.

Hope to mount my leaf spring on the Simplex Copper gator & test this week, but still anticipate I'll need some adjustment to get everything working together. Overall length of the spring pack is the area of my greatest concern. I'm thinking it's an inch or so too long to cycle correctly, but that's an easy fix since everything is bolted together and or adjustable in my design. I might also have to tie the third leaf back into the pack as well. Again an easy fix. I was amazed at how easily the single long leaf flexed on the work bench against just my weight, this led me to strap the two bottom leaves together as a starting point for testing. I'm glad I chose the trailer spring pack instead of the snow mobile type that many have used quite successfully on motor bicycles. The Simplex is substantially heavier solo and with the side car attached I think the trailer spring is the way to go...though not yet proven.   Rick C.   

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #596 on: March 30, 2018, 06:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Making things has been & is a great joy. I hope you are doing well & great to see you post up again. Let us know how things are going down in the "big easy".   Rick C.

Thanks Rick, things are good down here. I told my wife "I'm not undertaking on any more projects for people anymore. Once I finish the last one, I'm done... I'm restoring my Simplex." About a day later I get a call from a relative which said "hey, could you help me change out the injectors in my diesel on my pickup". It never seems to end.

That said, I should be moving forward on the Simplex here in the next month or so. I honestly can't wait.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #597 on: March 30, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »
Loving it, Rick!  I hope it rides as good as it looks.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 30, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
Eitek it just shows you've a good heart & time will eventually be available for your project.  Glad your doing well.

Thanks Rick I mounted the leaf fork this morning, but have a few adjustments left before I give it a test ride. I took a couple of photos but harsh sunlight, cheap phone & lousy camera skills (mainly that last one) prevents having a decent pic to post. I will however post one later today.

Overall I'm pleased & optimistic with this trial fitup & hope to be at the point of taking it off tonight & painting etc. tomorrow if conditions look favorable for paint.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 30, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Trial fit up turned out better than these photos & I rode it a few blocks & across the railroad tracks, typically included in my first rides, all without incident. This bike has always ridden well so when I say I it doesn't feel a lot different...means I'm happy. No caliper yet mounted so I cut the test short & pretty slow 30 to 35 mph maybe...rear coaster isn't safe past 20 mph so I'll see what the handling is like after I add the disc caliper up front & I'll start working on rear disc as well.   Rick C.