Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167016 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
Bad backs ... I don't know what it is . Maybe the water ? ;)
I've got one , too . I have to adjust it multiple times a day , but I get by .

And , hopefully , there's always time to learn .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
Pete I'm guessing too many years of hard work coupled with the additional burden of low pay.
Chevy is getting a lot of attention & $$.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
What ? You got paid ?  ;)

Is that truck box big enough to hold a Simplex or two ?
That would be neat combo .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
No it's 3/4 full of stainless gas tank, four link air bag suspension,'bout enough room left over for a couple of "sea bags" and a thermos of coffee. I do have a 2" receiver hitch in place for a rack or trailer.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
I see . Heck that box isn't big enough to even carry a spare tire .

It'll look pretty decent when you get it done though .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
What ya got or going to power it with?  ???

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 07:10:57 AM »
That's my 350 chevy mockup motor installed now.  I use it to do fit up then road test (which has been completed) I've got a 350 Vortec, carbed, which will go in latter with sprint style stainless outside the rails headers & mild engine mods. I'm planning on keeping this one for awhile and putting on the street often, 400 auto & 3.88 rear. Engine should put out low 400 hp number, pretty mild & easy to drive, an old guys rat rod but using quite a bit of shiny stuff on it. Hope to get some decent photos outside the shop soon.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
Ha . That shiny stuff is for 'I got nothin' else to do' times . ;)

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
guess what iam  building   ???   1956
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:01:39 AM by bjm »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:52 AM »
Hmm , looks like about a sixties VW .

My uncle had those for years .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
I've done a few of those.  I like the early split window kit you are putting in!  What are you using for power?
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Great project & ditto the split window...looks great. One of the high school girls here has a 1963 VW her dad restored for her & each time I see them on the road it brings memories of another girl & her VW, back in '63, who ended up marrying me. RC

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Since I'm using a motor driven, bicycle chain drive, pedal power, coaster brake, rear wheel/ hub adaptor sprocket...whew, on a Simplex (kinda) frame thought I'd post some pictures and explanations.
The rear wheel is driven by two sprockets a twenty tooth 3/16" on the right side provides power from the bicycle pedals. There is a 44 tooth 1/2" sprocket on the left, mounted on a hub adaptor for motor power. Braking is coaster brake operated by back pedaling the pedal crank. 1901 thru 1920 most moto-bicycles used a similar arrangement...even the V-twins of Harley, Indian, Pope, Excelsior etc. all based on a bicycle frame and forks. Worked pretty well despite massive engine weight, little or no suspension, often absent front brakes ,pitiful tire compounds & horrific roadways. Think about the board track racers of the era who raced & often died at speeds over 100mph on those simple macines.

The photos show a cartridge type bearing & shaft along with the "bracket shell" which houses it, threaded left & right to accept the cartridge to which the crank pedals will be attached. The "shell" will be welded to the Simplex frame on a plate which will also accept the "drive off" kickstand, behind the engine/trans case.

The pedals only turn under human power and can help power the bike with engine running or not. The pedals/chain also act as the linkage to the rear coaster brake and if the right side chain breaks the rear is brakeless. Simple system that I trust when aided by a good disc/caliper arraingement up front. Rick C.   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
What is the plan for pedal mounting? A Simplex is very low so the pedals will have to be mounted high.  Seems to me this will be difficult to pedal?  What are your thoughts on this?
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
Rick your so right on all points. Pedals will be "capable" of powering the bike but mainly used for footrests and rear braking or emergency starting. What I've done in the past is index the pedals level & normally locked so they can't rotate except for 1/4 turn back for braking. The pedal levers & bottom bracket will be extra wide about 15" or so to clear the cases & pedal levers quite short (155mm) for ground clearance when pedaling. I'll probably not believe just how uncomfortable pedaling will be until I try it...brutal comes to mind. I'm sure your all wondering. Why go to the trouble?
It's a good question too. I've used this exact setup of wheel, tire, sprocket, brake, hub adaptor before on heavy bicycle frames with 12.5 hp Ktm 2 strokes that were wicked strong and fast. As a result I'm confident these components can take the power & weight on the street. The reasons for the pedal part of this build is I'm a big fan of the early Indian board track bikes & like running a double chain, part of a tradition for me. I like the small bicycle wheels and tires which are also part of the early look I'm after. I don't want another motorcycle or something that looks like one.

I'm also trying to give my small town police and Sheriffs dept. a break so they don't "have" to arrest my sorry old butt for not tagging & registering a motor assisted pedal bike...which this will kinda look like but we all know it isn't. Just me trying to help out the local law! Rick C.