Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167139 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »
The Gravely powered Simplex that I posted on here went to auction awhile back.  Ernie said it boiled down to two bidders and the bike ended up fetching  $17k!

I find that incredible!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
Made a bit of progress over the past few days one or two hours at a time. Car show today it was the 1934 Plymouths turn & lots of love but no trophy. Cool folks large turnout of both exhibitors & enthusiasts. Indian Outlaw Scout motobike really drew a crowd but wasn't entered just thought it looked at home next to the hot rod. I'll take the rat rod Chevy PU next week & the Navaho Indian to the last car show for me till September /October. I plan on showing & entering all three Indian motobikes & the Simplex Cajun Gator in the motorcycle class at the 2 fall shows.

I'm still mocking up the Cajun Gator but with a bit more purpose & solidity before I break her down for completion of frame welding, followed up by another trial assembly before slicking up the frame & painting (all black frame).

These things are quite homely while under build but usually turn out pretty good.

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
Bent brackets to co-join the front of the two fuel tanks & another to mount the tanks to the existing holes in the top tubes. Which I'm guessing were used to mount the original tank? I'm holding off on making the rear bracket but it will secure the rear of the tanks about 1.5" lower than the included photos indicate, giving the tanks an angle more nearly duplicating the top tube's angle of declination.

I'm going to feature a lot of copper on this bike & the copper Gator fuel caps, the eagle feather on the dual springers and Indian copper concho are just a few touches I'll add to contrast the black frame and tanks.  Copper will clad the seat spring strap. Black, copper & silver make for great contrast. The engine itself will also feature the same contrasts (solid silver motor just hurts my eyes & is rather boring in my opinion). Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
Decided to go 26"x3" on the rear...now stands 27.75" I let the 26"x2.4" on the front, result looks agressive. Also built a bracket to mount air shock to the saddle. Wrapped the leather grips & crafted a pure copper motor side case cover for the motor drive side, just small details. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Nice job on the side covers!  I think you need to build a copper gas tank to do it justice!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
Thanks Rick more copper is on the way, tank maybe? Copper headlight & opposite engine covers.  Saddle air shock functions well & coupled with the 3" rear tire should give a soft ride. Have fun in Portland! RickC.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Taking the bike back down to the frame to finish weld & install pedal bracket co-axle. When thats complete I'll reassemble the parts necessary to test as a pedal bike only. I'll ride for a few days or until I'm satisfied with the feel under human power. If it won't work as a bicycle it sure as heck will be worse with several horsepower and a transmission. It's the order of construction I've picked up while building several moto-bicycles in the past & saves time & aggravation in the long run. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »
Is it done?  Pictures please!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2015, 06:25:40 PM »
Sorry 'bout the lack of activity on my end of things...excuses? I have plenty, but "good reasons" are few. I'll post some photos of current progress, really nothing to show from most of the summer as I got back to work on the little bike only a couple of weeks ago.
If you recall my design was and is to include "pedal power" to the cycle, thus transforming the bike to the era and look of an early board track racer, with modern upgrades to be sure. Since the Simplex missed the whole age of board track racing by some 30 years (from the styles inception) I'm taking a lot of lee way on my design. Custom not restoration.
Still seeing a lot of cool work & ideas on the forum.   
Photos of the frame and bottom bracket.  Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2015, 01:57:59 AM »
For the copper work, was most of electro-plated, or hand formed/machined?  Either way, it's a nice look!  You going to let the copper "patina" naturally, or is it clear-coated somehow?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:29 AM »
Looking good!  I see you changed the gas tank. Is that a spun aluminum tank?  I still think you should fabricate a copper tank, you definitely have the skill.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:24:56 AM by RickS »
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Hey Rick, lost my lengthy reply to your questions due to time out so I'll hurry and keep it short. I want some patina & may clear coat & dull. No electro plate or powder coat used. Various ga. copper plate machined & or formed. Tank is steel & is welded to the frame tubes as a stress member. 14 gauge steel then welded to both the tank and frame forming an area to protect and conceal the headlight battery, CDI & coil. The panels will be covered in copper plate forming a tear drop shape with the tank.
The fuel tank will also be mostly covered with copper along with the spring strap. Both will have strong areas of black to contrast with the copper. Engine jug black hi-temp to off set the silver & copper. Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
Now I see where you are going, I think it is going to be awesome.  Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
Rick C. ,

I like it , but I'd forget the pedals . Even so , it'll be an interesting piece when finished .

If you want / need to type a lengthy post , you could type it up on MS Notepad or some such . Then copy & paste it here .
It's what I do sometimes . I can't remember all the times I've lost a post , for what ever reason .

Oh , maybe you could get Santa's elves to lend a hand . I heard they will be off work for a while , fairly soon . LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 07:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the props.  My vision for the build is to end up with an updated board track look circa 1910, using Simplex frame. Early motos used pedals and coaster brakes, bicycle frames tire and wheels. I want to stay with the elements that identify with that look. Board track saddle, low profile, clean and basic...I love the lines of the Simplex frame, but need pedals to operate the rear brakes. Would have been way easy to slap an engine and go, but wouldn't satisfy my perimeters. Rick C.,