Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167033 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:12 AM »
Sounds like a well thought out plan!

Where you live, you don't need to register and insure motor assisted pedal bikes?  Here in New York, the land of NO, everything must be registered to be road legal.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
Good to know where your from Rick & yes we here in Indian Territory still have a few civil liberties. Mo-ped assisted bicycles are not required to register, tag or insure if the bike, motor and operator fall witin the defined legal guidelines which I do... yet the Simplex I'm building doesn't. Operator if over the minimum age, 16 if I recall correctly, not even required to have a license. Motors are limited by motor size, not horsepower, so a 50cc KMT with centrif. clutch making 12 hp @ 11,000rpm makes the grade if geared to not exceed 35mph in a flat runup of 1/2 mile, while a larger engine of 100cc making 1.5 hp that can't get out of it's own way is not legal. Transmissions of any variety are not allowed. Yet in rural areas police seem to follow the maxim "if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck & walks like a duck...it's a duck."
So if I ride respectfully & below posted limits, law enforcement just see an old guy on a bicycle putt-putting along with a big smile on his face. They are used to seeing me in my high powered hod rods doing the same thing. I like to show off at legal speeds and they appreciate that, even if the young ones don't understand it!

I don't ride bicycles motorized or not on state highways too great a difference in speed and weight 35mph vs. 70 mph, 135lb. bike vs. 5,000 lb. pickup,  no chance in a collision.

Rick if I'm stopped & cited I'll bring her, regretfully, up to motorcycle regs, it's the law & sell. I like the simple, clean, uncluttered look of the early moto-machines & that's what I build. Tags, turn signals etc. look nasty on the small frames even if state legislators demand them.  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:15 AM »
Rick, check out these bikes.  I have seen several, and they are really nice!

http://www.phoenixbikeworksinc.com/Phoenix_Bike_Works_News.html
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »
Those ARE really nice builds as is the base chassis.  The Whizzer motor and rear wheel belt drive sheeve is classic as well.  Phoenix has definitely found a niche market and if priced right should sell a bunch of kits.
Rick did you notice the position of the pedals & the bottom bracket. I'd be happy to have mine positioned the same and the Phoenix looks very cramped for actual pedaling. It would provide way too much exercise for my taste, as will mine. Hope to not have to use them very much. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »
Having some nice weather here in western Oklahoma, decided to get my desert truck out for a quick run in the dirt. Boss 302 4 bolt 1970 engine puts out 410hp on pump gas & carbed...pics of engine after complete rebuild about a year ago. TCI Ford C4 tranny with manual valve body...lot of fun, strictly off-road.  RC 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
If I haven't forgotten something all the parts for my Cajun Gator have shipped & should be in my hands sometime next week so I don't have that excuse to begin work on the frame stretch and fabrication. The 1946 Chevy PU has been taking up most of my spare time these days, but I'll work some in the evenings on the Simplex. I really want both completed by the end of May as the shop work really gets in full swing first of June & all this hobby stuff must give way to the "big rigs" & making a living up through Nov. when it slows a bit. Enjoy Portland it sounds a blast!  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
Rich Phillips design leather "Alligator" saddle. It is gel filled & fitted to his shops steel pan. I'm pleased, as always with his work. Measures 13"x10" He also crafted a Navaho "squash blossom" pattern saddle (same dimensions & shape) for a previous build and I really like the comfort and looks of his handicraft. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Good looking leather pattern.  I like it a lot.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
Busy May for me & wet 21.5" in less than 30 days is an all time record here in Indian Territory. Took time to work on the bike one day this week (along with two fabricators at the shop) & in about a half day built a frame jig & completed a BASIC stretched frame, 6" longer added to the lower frame tubes & 4" to the top. Head & tank tube radius, along with seat strap spring are all that was salvagable up front. Axle drops were also usable.
Seat strap is slightly bent, but I feel it's usable. Wheel base is 52.5" & ground clearance is almost 4".
Plenty of room for fuel tank, drive off kick stand & jackshaft. Exhaust pipe routing around the frame tubes appears tight. Once I've determined the final position of all the bits & pieces I'll weld in the rest of the strengthening frame tubes, rear fender brace, engine plate & motor mounts/fuel tank mounts etc. Bunch to do & in a busy shop not a lot of available time, so I brought her home & mounted a few components to work out spacing etc. Rick C

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2015, 05:46:54 AM »
Are the front forks you are using the same length as Simplex forks?  Did you lengthen the front downtubes?  Looking good!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »
Thanks Rick, the Sunlite forks are 1.5" longer than the Simplex measured from center axle to lower bearing race & the down tubes are 2" longer. My ground clearance is a bit less than 4" on tire height of 26.5" front & rear. So it too is stretched & lowered a bit. I'm delighted with the extra space provided & though I've not yet located a good original fuel tank, if one comes available there's adequate room to mount one. Saddle will be about 4" lower in the rear to obtain the early 1916-ish "board track" style I favor. I'll add both vertical & horizontal tube bracing to the rear triangle after mocking up all component locations. I'll also run steel plate from the front of the engine to within 2" of the rear tire for mounting purposes...engine, jackshaft, pedal bracket & kickstand etc. Know you guys will enjoy Portland and wish I could be there, maybe next year.  Rick C.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
I have thought about stretching one of these bikes to about 125% of current size to fit a gravely engine in.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »
Rick I really like the Gravely look & sound...they are huge. 125% adds about a foot to the Simplex frame. The Gravely has set back in the frame to clear the stock down tubes & so engine height is a problem, I don't think lowering the frame by a couple of inches will get you there alone even with a 12" stretch on bottom & 7" on top. I'd suggest laying out a full size frame sketch on the floor & work out tube bend angles to verify concept first. For example my stretch bend angle is 90 degrees on the down tubes. Less bend, say 80 degrees, results in more engine front clearance for the engine case. Of course head rake changes also.  The top tubes can be raised as well by less top tube bend. Raising the top tubes also helps lessen "tube crossing" problem at the drop plates. The stock drop plates are large, so tubes can separated by 2.5" at least if necessary or have custom drops machined. Bending the top tubes (as I did) is another way of addressing the problem...or using both techniques together would work.  It can be built. Happy planning!  Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
The Gravely powered Simplex that I posted on here went to auction awhile back.  Ernie said it boiled down to two bidders and the bike ended up fetching  $17k!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2015, 05:00:09 AM »
Owner should have been very pleased with the bidding on the Gravely Simplex. Rick you might want to complete yours while the market is hot!