Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166981 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »
I see now, was wondering,that's all.    Keep building

Bruce, are you working on your truck project, or did you give up on it?
I am, but slowly. I have a few Whizzer projects and even though I mounted a whizzer engine on the truck I'm not sure I'll leave it.  Plan is to get more done soon hopefully.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
Carryall....where did that fishtail come from?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
It was an old crusty "left-over" I had found, so I "modified" to fit.  I think they were used on some old mini-bikes from the 70's.  I thought it looked "appropriate".  LOL   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »
May have already told you how much I admire your Simplex and the fish tail is an awesome addition that's really a great signature feature for your fine moto! Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2015, 03:12:21 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.  I'm just waiting for some 3/16" stainless steel braided fuel line to finish up the new carb installation, since I changed its routing.  I haven't found a "winter project" to work on yet, except some "wrenching" on my old ZR7...I'm jealous. (last air cooled, carbed 750's) LOL
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:15:13 AM by carryall »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I've always admired the Kawasaki's if that era both for style & performance and your's is a beauty. I only remember seeing the ZR7's in blue or silver. Were other colors offered?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »
yellow, "blurple", and red.  Most ZR7's sold in the U.S. were the "ZR7S models" which had the front fairing/windshield.  There's not much on my "blue bike" that I haven't changed, tweaked, painted, or modified in some way, shape, or form...  The Kaw. 750 engine design is so old, yet reliable, the block still has the screw holes, from when they used the points/condenser set-up. LOL. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:59:55 AM by carryall »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
Remember the 327 Hi-Perf vette dual point distributor? Scratch my head till I'm bald & still couldn't figure it out, memory is fading lol.

Dyed the leather grips to match the saddle, natural tanned hide really clashed. Angled carb came in and only angles carb to the inside which actually barely fits (like everything else) but fit it does and actually looks at home there, just not what I'd imagined...which would have placed the carb & air cleaner toward the folded kick start lever, outside of the frame. Saddle height 26" rear tire stands 28.5"....axle to rear axle in most forward position 53.5" with 55" about max on use able wheelbase.

Ordered the brass fittings to hookup the fuel supply & misc. bits and pieces. Also cut the parts for a short steel stinger header for a test start on the motor. Also need to complete my wiring harness as well.

I've also ordered a idler sprocket  for secondary chain tension. I'll weld a slot bracket to the frame similar to the bracket I fabricated for the coaster brake lever. I'll decide whether to mount that on top of the frame or go to the bottom; as I did on the coaster bracket...after I receive the sprocket as I'm not sure of it's diameter.

Lots of little stuff, which means a lot, to finish up. Starting the engine is the next big hurdle to be cleared. Still just having fun! Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2016, 03:08:40 AM »
A factory curved/angled section of appropriately sized radiator hose can also be cut and used for air filter locating. Depending on what style A/F you like, some even come with a oil breather adapter/inlet built in, if you preferred to "run the vapors" back thru the carb. vs a catch bottle/vented filter. But I'm sure you know all that...As for the dual points, I remember one set of points was set at 26 degree dwell, and the other was 33 degrees (on an Accell dual points set-up anyways?  I think? scratch, scratch... LOL) 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
It's great when someone understands one of my goofy  references & responds with a  corresponding trivia answer. Well done Sir!

Equally important is being spot on with the radiator hose, oil breather/ air filter. I had not considered either. Here's what immediately came to mind. I flashed back (in a good way) to 1959 and my Cushman Eagle 8HP scooter. It was my first effort at hot rod mods. Which in itself is a long story...pertinent part is that the original carb was connected to a short radiator hose (factory) & then to a rather large frame mounted oil bath air cleaner. I'm trying to keep this brief, so one of the many mods to the L-head was to replace the intake, carb and air cleaner. I used a round slide Dellorto carb and a chrome Chevy valve cover breather as the "low restriction" air cleaner connected with a couple of (straight) inches of the radiator hose & 2 hose clamps (old style wire ones). Yogi Berra would be so proud of this( dejevu?) all over again moment. Thanks for jarring that random synapse which briefly opened the door for a glace back into my youth & helping me move closer to a working filtration system. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:34 AM »
Speaking of "random moments of clarity", Ya ever forget to turn your ignition switch "off" before shoving your feeler gauge into the points gap on one of them high energy ignition systems, while leaning on the fender???  SURE...you'd think 40,000 volts arcing from your zipper would be fun, and would really impress the girls right?  Nope. Neither one... LOL

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
No way!! Gotta admit I hadn't even considered the switch on possibility, therefore blind luck only that I avoided a jarring jolt to my jewels while tuning. Rick C.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »
That "little Frankenstein incident" was the inspiration behind my father and I "rigging up" a bird feeder with a car battery, a coil and 2 sections of coat hanger 1/4" apart, with a button, on a bird feeder in order to "ZAP" thieving squirrels.  Just one of those old, cherished  memories I have with my dad from long ago, that still make me smile (and miss him very much...  Sorry so "off subject")  Look forward to seeing what you come up with for your air filter design, and maybe a "audio/video link" to the sound of the engine when it's "up and running" with your exhaust?   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2016, 04:37:48 AM »
X1 on the video .

And , I used a BB pistol , set on low , when 'training' feeder squirrels . LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »
I like off some off topic & given that we allenjoy juvenile hobbies, still we are adults and mainly stay targeted on the Servi-Cycle forum theme. I'm also aware of the very subjective role a moderator plays & am certain they will "guide" us back when it's called for. No complaint on my part.
I know it's not politically correct but I wish I'd thought of the squirrel shocker back in my youth. Remember the model T coil, the one in a wooden box; that would do it! Just like PD we just shot the little thieves with a BB gun. Now I just enjoy watching 'em eat with the birds. We have deer, wild turkey & a variety of wild critters that come into town and feed and as far as I know most people just let them alone.

I've got four headlight housings to finish. One in copper housing. The other three are "Classic style bullet" enclosures made in Taiwan, housing looks good but the guts are junk & produce a feeble trickle of light, if you can get them to function at all. I've finished one housing but need to fab a bracket for it. Took a Cree 2500 lumen led bicycle light that I've been using for about 6 months & retro fitted into the housing...used the lens & reflector, but trashed the rest. I'll use a 6,000 lumen in the next one  . though the 2,500 puts out enough light in town at legal limits. The Simplex gator will get the 6,000 unit. I'm good with charging the little Ion pack (2 x 2 x 2.5) occasionally. Seldom ride more than a few miles at night & the pack will provide full beam power for about 2.5 hours on a charge.