Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 167001 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Pete the photos show the ahead stem at it's lowest setting with the shock locked out, so the headlight is totally clear of the bars and mechanism. The stem & bar can only travel upwards from this point when the latch is disengaged, the fully compressed shock can't go any lower than the photo indicates. I took a 6 mile ride, according to GPS, today and the front end and controls functioned well. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
I thought the shock looked compressed , but wasn't sure it worked like standard shock absorbers .

That looks like a sweet set up .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 15, 2016, 07:59:12 PM »
Here's a photo of ahead stem in the fully upright position. The little shock has about an inch and a half of travel when fully extended like this. None when fully compressed. The stem shock as well as the saddle air shock were intended for mountain bike use & locking the whole suspension out while "climbing" is essential biking technique for an efficient & powerful pedal stroke. Not so much use on a motorized bike though. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
I can see how that would add some comfort when you're not 'working' the ride .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2016, 07:32:37 AM »
Pete I like that phrase "working the ride" one reason I'm still able to ride is a firm belief that sitting is not riding... on horse or bike. Yet as I approach my 69th. year I do appreciate a bit of comfort while riding. The original Simplex design was well thought out & comfortable. I recently was allowed to try one on for size by a friend who purchased a decently restored Automatic a few years back. I'm 6' 1" and it fit me nicely as was and that was no surprise as I have owned and ridden Mustang's and Cushman's that also fit my frame. My modifications to the Simplex design created problems galore, especially my insistence that working pedals be added. The last issue I've had to deal with is a severely cramped riding position caused by adding pedals, eliminating the forward foot pads, foot shift, coaster brake & the low slung Indian board track handlebars. The final piece of the puzzle and what ultimately makes this bike ride-able is the longer head stem.  Of course the half foot increase of wheelbase was vital for any of the design to work, but the stem makes it happen and still bring the look I was after from the start. As I've stated I loved the ram head bars, but not on this bike. Without the stem I'd have been forced to go back to the high bar look and also raise the saddle height and move it at least two inches rearward. It's funny how things work out, but this time a simple solution really saved my build as I would never have accepted the altered stance on this Simplex modification. In my opinion the build would have ended in failure had I been forced to make the changes noted. As it is I'm very pleased that the bike isn't at all cramped and retains the stance I wanted. I'm still building on the Copper Gator.  Rick C.   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
Rick, Simplex certainly got it in the comfort department with the footboard design.  I sold my Sportsman as I simply hated the rear footpeg position.  It was very uncomfortable to ride.  If I should buy another Sportsman, it will definitely be a floorboard model.

As much as I love the boardtrack look, I don't think my back would like that bent over riding position for long.  I sort of like the long pulled back handlebars used on the very early motorcycles, where you sit very upright.  Looks comfy.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2016, 08:19:56 AM »
Lol you're not wrong on my other board track style 15 miles is a very long ride indeed. Ricardo says " It is better to be looking good than to feel good." Guess some of us agree as we slowly recover.

Quick question. Are you still working on a Gravely bike build? Guys building a "very" nice Gravely engine/ transmission on the MB forum (board track forum) and your old MB Gravely thread was brought up by another member. Just a heads up to you aRick C.s I don't cross direct forum traffic unless it's forum specific and never offer individual information or updates.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Lol you're not wrong on my other board track style 15 miles is a very long ride indeed. Ricardo says " It is better to be looking good than to feel good." Guess some of us agree as we slowly recover.

Quick question. Are you still working on a Gravely bike build? Guys building a "very" nice Gravely engine/ transmission on the MB forum (board track forum) and your old MB Gravely thread was brought up by another member. Just a heads up to you aRick C.s I don't cross direct forum traffic unless it's forum specific and never offer individual information or updates.

I haven't come across a Gravely motor.  If I do, I will consider it.  I am hoping to have my GS190 powered stretch ready to ride in Portland this summer, just need to find more hours in the day.  Working 6 days a week doesn't leave enough time to play! 
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:35 AM »
Pete I like that phrase "working the ride" one reason I'm still able to ride is a firm belief that sitting is not riding... on horse or bike. Yet as I approach my 69th. year I do appreciate a bit of comfort while riding. The original Simplex design was well thought out & comfortable. I recently was allowed to try one on for size by a friend who purchased a decently restored Automatic a few years back. I'm 6' 1" and it fit me nicely as was and that was no surprise as I have owned and ridden Mustang's and Cushman's that also fit my frame. My modifications to the Simplex design created problems galore, especially my insistence that working pedals be added. The last issue I've had to deal with is a severely cramped riding position caused by adding pedals, eliminating the forward foot pads, foot shift, coaster brake & the low slung Indian board track handlebars. The final piece of the puzzle and what ultimately makes this bike ride-able is the longer head stem.  Of course the half foot increase of wheelbase was vital for any of the design to work, but the stem makes it happen and still bring the look I was after from the start. As I've stated I loved the ram head bars, but not on this bike. Without the stem I'd have been forced to go back to the high bar look and also raise the saddle height and move it at least two inches rearward. It's funny how things work out, but this time a simple solution really saved my build as I would never have accepted the altered stance on this Simplex modification. In my opinion the build would have ended in failure had I been forced to make the changes noted. As it is I'm very pleased that the bike isn't at all cramped and retains the stance I wanted. I'm still building on the Copper Gator.  Rick C.    

How's the saying go ?

As long as you're happy . ;)

Kinda like I tell my wife , when she asks if a project is done : It's done enough , for now .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
Pretty happy 2nd. oil change revealed very little metal, in fact the strainer was completely clear of debris. Not much seen in the previous change either. Transmission is getting just right and neutral is now easy to locate. Break in is coming along nicely.  Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
Muratic acid wash on copper starts the aging process up close there is greens, blues & red mixed with a deepening & darkening copper hue. It's also revealing the hammered surface texture too. Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
Photos

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
I like that 'aged' copper .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2016, 06:26:33 AM »
Pete I'm a little aged as well & have developed a patina of my own, without the help of muratic acid, yet haven't heard any complements about the change.

While finishing the Copper Gator I've been day dreaming about what a Simplex would look like with a V-twin. I told a guy at the shop I was going to build another Simplex & his first comment was I bet it's a V. I hadn't shared my vision with him though I have mentioned the possibility on the forum. I guess I'm an easy read. If you guys spot a Simplex, l frame I can cut up let me know.

No animals will be injured or abused in the filming of this build.

I will use a small V-twin engine, air cooled, 5 speed integrated transmission & no pedals! It will be a small motorcycle built in the 1930's style of dirt bike...kinda like a Simplex, Harley, Indian, yet different. Springer forks (reworked Simplex), traditional fuel tank 2.5 gal. ala Harley ...won't be a V powered remake of my current Simplex build and that's for certain. I'm leaning towards the Virago or Honda V-twins cause they are proven designs & complete engines and spare parts are readily available. I plan on going with under 400 cc displacement & favor the 250 cc at the moment which should build out to close to 30 hp & remain street able. I want to use this one for club events, short poker runs and be able to keep up with the big boys cruising at 75 + so gearing will be a bit tall, but with 5 speeds and my weight target of under 200 lbs. I think it will be fine. Antique frame registration so head, tail, brake lights & mirror & that ugly tag is all that's required along with liability insurance.

I'll probably stick with a "hard tail" but have a design in mind for an air ride suspension for the rear, if I can retain the vintage look I'll consider giving in to comfort. Still building on the Gator, dreaming of a V-twin & having fun! Rick C.   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2016, 07:13:59 AM »
Ha . Compliments ... I figure it a compliment if anyone wants to spend time around me , but that likely has little to do with what I look like . ;)

The V build sounds interesting .

That is a pretty bland looking tag :

Do they offer custom tags ?