Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166964 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2018, 07:45:31 AM »
Always good to have options . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 21, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »
I've not posted for awhile, but following as best I can. Good news is my health is much improved, the bad...finally feel well enough to tackle al those home improvements/upkeepI've put off for the last couple of years. All the bike work I've planned & started are about where I left them. I also had a major electrical event at home which fried all my electrical appliances including air and computers etc. I've upgraded all, but I'm only just getting the hang of the new hardware & software. Word to the wise keep a list of all passwords & codes on paper, just the opposite of what I'd been told....I now keep in in my safe deposit box.

The Simplex will be my focus once again. The rear disk brake needs completing & then back on the sidecar frame.

Portland sounded a real treat this year!    Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 21, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Hey Rick ,

Good you're feeling better . How come you didn't have all those home improvement things farmed out while you were under the weather ? That way you could just jump right back on a bike . ;)
I haven't done a thing with any of my bikes in close to 4 months . 100+ degree temps just kinda takes the fun out of it .
What happened so you could get all new stuff ? Lightening I'll guess . But ???

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 24, 2018, 06:13:44 AM »
Thanks Pete improved health really helps. The really big stuff like roofing I farm out, but I really like to handle the lighter work myself & being an optimist I keep thinking I'll catch up on the rest and it's happening. Hobbies are always a distant second to responsibilities in my playbook.

Long story short, lightning & we get a lot of it. I'm surprised that my stuff had survived this long. The bright side is all the new appliances are high efficiency & I can already see a substantial energy cost savings. If I ever get used to Windows 10 the new computer setup is really a major upgrade in speed and storage.

I hope you guys have settled in for the Fall season.   Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 24, 2018, 06:48:08 AM »
Same here , Rick . The little stuff I like to handle . I've done more than enough of the big things , so now they get paid for . LOL

Indian country is known for it's storms , so it doesn't surprise me . And , don't feel alone about Win 10 . There a lot of folks that are 'struggling' with that learning curve .

As for settling in , we're waiting for the long term winter weather forecast ( due out around the first part of September ). It pretty much determines which way we go for the season .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 29, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
Update leaf fork works great as does the rear disc setup & hand shift lever. I've put in a lot of saddle time on these mods & can't complain. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 29, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »
Rick ,
Sounds like you're taking full advantage of riding season , while it lasts .
You have a set of tire chains for that bike ? LOL

We're back in Queen Creek , Az . At least for the holidays , then ???
I haven't had the bikes off the trailer all Summer . It's been too hot . The weather looks to be 'falling' into some nice riding conditions here . Low 80s - 70s and dry , so far .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 30, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
Yes Pete getting in a couple of hours riding a day this fall & much of that on the Simplex. I've currently got the rear brake disconnected & am considering a foot brake on the motor drive side. I had a dual brake hand lever operating both brakes & may stick with that, but prefer being able to modulate braking separately.

Hand shift lever on the left side can be employed using either hand, although its tranny shifts nicely without the clutch I normally employ the clutch & shift with my right hand. Feels natural either way.

Arizona is a nice place to be in the fall, especially at the higher altitudes. Got any plans to move camp later?

I'd have a hard time not riding frequently. I like to build & love to ride!  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 30, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »
I had a hard time leaving the bikes on the trailer this Summer , but , I'm not riding in 100+° heat .

We're currently a bit over 1400 feet above sea level . That's down a few thousand feet from where we were this past Summer . So far it's very nice weather and much more conducive to riding . :D

As for moving , that will likely not happen until after the first of the year . We'll watch the Winter weather patterns and decide which way to go . Kind of thinking the Rio Grande Valley , but ???

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 30, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Yeah we're at +-1,300 feet here & it's been beautiful, with periodic rain, but really nothing to hinder my rides all fall.

You've been on caravan long enough to get a read on conditions and of course you know the valley well & it's been a very good winter campground for a long time. I understand that costs are still very reasonable as well. Where ever you land give us an update and let us know how you're doing.

Riding often is a great stress reliever and problem solver...better than the Dr. ordered!

Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
Agreed , Rick .

Take two rides and call me in the morning . ;)

That's been my problem . I haven't filled that prescription , yet . 
I'm working on the FA50 tomorrow . I have a couple things that need attention and then I'll have to test it , of course .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:19 AM »
Good one Pete! Hope you don't mind me borrowing that feel good one liner.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 31, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »
Good one Pete! Hope you don't mind me borrowing that feel good one liner.

Be my guest , Rick . :D

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 03, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Out & about.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:20 AM »
Rear disc brakes completed with brake lever constructed from an old bicycle kick stand. Next the side car.

Rick C.