Author Topic: Simplex 5 speed build  (Read 166951 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: Simplex 5 speed build
« Reply #660 on: January 29, 2019, 10:43:44 AM »
Thanks Pete. I was happy with anything around 20 mph, My GPS  shows my around town travels average about 8 mph & that's the bulk of it. The addition of the 3 hp motor is multi faceted, based on my use. Extended range, emergency power if juice runs flat and just to be different.

In addition the use of electric powered "takeoffs" will assist the gas/CVT power train spin up quickly to engagement operating speed. This can be a real benefit in stop & go situations where the really low power, gas engines typically struggle to get rolling. Once underway I expect the gas engine alone will reach 35 to 40 mph on flats with the rather high (4to1) ratio final drive & 6 inch driven pulley... if I find a need to hurry. I'll run out of engine before I reach any higher. Speed isn't my goal for sure.

I doubt that the gas engine gets much use, but it will be there if required & it's different!

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 06, 2019, 04:25:08 AM »
Lot of stuff happening since last post. Hybrid got sold off after the pull start messed up my shoulder for two months! I've completed the fat tire e-bike and replaced the lead cells with a 48v. 18 amp hr. li-on pack & then converted my mountain bike to electric as well.

So now I'm back on the sidecar project for the Simplex unless another project distracts me & that it seems is pretty easy to do.

Rick C.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 06, 2019, 04:28:04 AM »
e-bikes

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 03, 2019, 03:24:44 AM »
I finished my hybrid 500 watt/2stroke/pedal board track bike, Hub motor used to start the 2 cycle instead of pedaling. The e hub is also used to power away from dead stops without engaging clutch to feather away from stop signs etc. the small clutch should now last forever. three way power gives options. The 36 volt lithium battery powered hub is good for 20 mph easy. Clutch lockout is simple and fast so overheating at stops or in slow traffic no longer a worry, o as slow as you want with the e-motor. I can now gear up from a 48 t sprocket (needed for dead stop no pedal starts) to 36 tooth rear drive sprocket which will really relax the rpm's at my preferred cruising speeds.

Left and right hand throttles with e-throttle on the left. Learning curve was easy. Two twist controls were once the norm with one controlling spark advance and the other fuel...this isn't something radically different, just new to most.

If I run out of gas or break a drive chain I can now use the front e-hub to get me home and it still pedals as well. Practical no pedal assist e-range at 10 to 15 mph I'd guess at no more than 15 miles...pedal assisted add 5 to 10 miles (depends) It's a 12 amp pack but the bike is now at about 85 lbs. and not a light weight. The modified two stroke puts out  2 stroke puts out 5 hp + so it's fuel mileage isn't great but still manages between 75 and 100 mpg.

Because of the extreme board track saddle location, almost over the rear axle center line, the bike has always been light up front. With the extra weight up front balance has been restored and the bike handles better. All the extra weight of hub and batteries is positioned low and COG is also improved as well.   

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 03, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
Hybrid photos

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 03, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
Good thing you don't have anything else to do , Rick . :D

Bikes are looking a bit more complicated , but , still good .

Amazing how resourceful we get as we grow older . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 03, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
Thanks Pete.

Can't be too difficult if I'm doing it... having a bike that I've ridden thousands of miles as a base was a big help on this, as was using the front hub, controller and battery on two e-bike builds this winter and spring. Learning curve flattened out as a result and at least using very similar e-bike components for that part of the conversion to hybrid was kinda' easy.

I've a few cosmetic details to  attend to, tube caps etc, but now I'm just riding with not much tweaking going on save the change from 48 tooth final drive to 36 t. which I'm not positive will be my final ratio. Ride and see how it performs.

This bike has been transformed so many times it's impossible for me to recall the details. A real test mule!

Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #667 on: July 03, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
Very Nice!  As I look it over interesting little 'ingenuities'  continue to appear. The creativity of how the front hub compliments easier takeoffs is great.  Less pedaling!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 04, 2019, 03:25:29 AM »
Thanks I tend to tinker and the 36 tooth sprocket goes on today for lower rpm cruising now that I've got the hub to bring me up to speed from dead stops. The drop from 48 to 36 tooth is a pretty aggressive modification that may bite me on really long steep hills, but the gas engine is tuned and makes over 5 hp on the small engine dyno so I feel there is a chance this will be a successful change. The e-hub has snail pace covered in town which wasn't possible with the tuned 2 stroke, even running a 48 tooth sprocket. It wants to run!

Rick C. 

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 04, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
36 tooth sprocket is a big improvement over the 48t almost no throttle required for flat cruising at 30 mph & no worries or pedaling required on any of the hills around here. Using the e hub from dead stop completely eliminated the need for the large sprocket.  I've installed a new clutch lockout lever & electric cruise up to 25 mph is now both easy and secure, but a new clutch cable will be the next maintenance item on my list. it's 5 years old. I've already tackled the toughest hills in town with just the electric hub and no pedal assist was necessary, but a little pedaling makes a big difference on the speed maintained on these climbs. All hills were tackled from a dead stop at the hills base, so it's golden.

Happy Independence day!

Rick C.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:16:17 PM by ndian22 »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 07, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »
Well thanks to Dave for his work in getting things back up and running. I'd think it will take us all some time to get back in the flow but I feel it's important to have a forum dedicated to the Servi-Cycle and it's devotees.

Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 07, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
Well thanks to Dave for his work in getting things back up and running. I'd think it will take us all some time to get back in the flow but I feel it's important to have a forum dedicated to the Servi-Cycle and it's devotees.

Rick C.

I second that^ , emotion . ;)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 07, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
What's up Pete? Where you at and where yo heading next?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 07, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »
What's up Pete? Where you at and where yo heading next?

Hi Rick ,

We're doing fine and enjoying the winter . Hopefully you are as well .

Currently we're about 80 miles east of San Antonio . We'll sit here until early to mid April , weather dependent .
Then we'll meander northward through Arkansas , Missouri , Illinois and a night in Indiana , then on to upper mid-west Michigan for the summer .
At some point in that^ travel , we have to pay a visit to South Dakota to take care of licensing . That has to happen once every 5 years , so , we just get it done and get on with the rest of our lives . ;)

How about you ? Been working on any new/old bikes or ??

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:57:55 PM by pd »

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 07, 2020, 04:11:34 PM »
Sounds like your out around Flatonia  on I-10. I've got rice farms south of there between Victoria and Cuero and another place on the Colorado river just outside Eagle Lake, all those south of I-10. Lot of friends In Gonzales, Luling and LaGrange as  well. Good country. Yeah I've been building some, just staying busy and having fun. Sounds a nice journey in front of you. I'll post a few photos. Real good to hear from you.

Rick C.