Author Topic: New 1954 Truck  (Read 22098 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New 1954 Truck
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2019, 06:02:43 PM »
Did you happen to keep & compile all the measurements, tools used, techniques, information gained, your research, etc. into a collective format others could use concerning such a project as this? In other words, a book???? Or, something that could sold or shared in a "book like" format? I would be interested in something of this nature. I am NOT as intuitive (innovative?) as someone like yourself. If you kept all your "notes" concerning this project, I think it would have a degree of marketability. What sayest thou?

The only dimensions I had I got from Vince.  Everything else I built from looking at photos and other Trucks at Portland.  This is the second one I have built, the first one had a 6.5 hp Honda GX200 motor. 

I have a well equipped home shop, and did everything myself, with the exception of the powder coating and leather seat. 

Besides the common hand tools, I used a mig welder, mill, lathe, tubing bender, built a sheet metal brake to bend the box.

If you are considering a project like this, I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Rick

DustyGold

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »
Okay. You already answered my question to a degree. If you had to use a metal lathe & mill, that puts a project like this out of my league. I could handle everything else, but the expense & time of learning that much metal working skill is beyond my scope for now. I have watched literally hours of metal lathe "shop class" with mrpete222 on YouTube aka TubalCain. He's a (retired?) high school shop teacher that makes really good videos on anything imaginable concerning metal work. He even shows steps in smelting & forging a small steam engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZEQe4Q3g4&t=13s

I really wish you had made an extensive YouTube video for you second truck. That would have been great fun to watch an educational video concerning the details of all the steps & fabrication(s) involved.  

BTW... Which part(s) did you have to fabricate to the extent you used a lathe & milling machine on them? Just curious. Thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
I made my own sealed bearing hubs which needs a lathe, and I made my own brake backing plates on the mill.  I built the first truck without either tool, but I used regular Simplex parts for that one.  I was trying to make this one as close to an original as possible.

Read through the thread on my other build for ideas.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2023, 08:09:19 AM »
Truck is for sale. Asking $7700. As seen at The VMBC show in Portland. The only change is the seat is now the English Tan leather.
Rick

Stevo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2024, 02:54:19 PM »
Rick

Looks good.  I'm studying your design.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile