Author Topic: Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute  (Read 34904 times)

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 3 wheeler
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
First time ive seen this build looks great!
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
Thanks. I just got off the phone with Wayne and have some idler pulleys and axles coming.  I just about have the drive system worked out.  I hope to have it running in time for the VMBC in Portland this summer.  This should be real ridable.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
Don't know if this is of any use to you guys thinking about alternate trannys & clutches, but here's something from our horseless carriage reproductions group site:

Hello Gentlemen.

I came across this today and I thought some of you may be interested. It a new
clutch available at northern tool. What caught my attention is it as a A/B
pulley instead of a sprocket and the engagement rpm is 1800 instead of the
2300-2400 in the sprocket drive clutches. This may be the awser to those who
wanted to run a centrifugal clutch, but do not want to full rev. I originally
was going to use a idler clutch on the shine runner, but I ordered one of these
since my idle on my engine is 1700 rpm. Northern has these in their latest
catalog however I couldn't find them on their website. Amazon has them
available, though Northern, on their website. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Hilliard-Extreme-Duty-Clutch-Pulley-D/dp/B00372RU56/ref=sr\
_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330381243&sr=8-1

Take care.
Brian

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
That is pretty much what I am running on my 3 wheel truck, except the ones I have are made by Max-Torque.  What I like about max-torque is they are a small, family business, that is interested in helping their customers.  When I called, they wanted to know about my project, and they wanted to help me pick out the best engagement springs for my application. After I placed my order, they put the clutches together and shipped them the next day!

Rick
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
Rick, that thing is coming out great! Im just catching up on all the threads and was checking this one out- WOW! I dig it, this is a great project I'd love to try sometime.
BTW- Did I read you were involved in racing VW's? I used to do a bit of that myself. I don'tknow how long you have been doing it but I used to work at SCS, Small Car Specialties in Anaheim, CA, 20 years ago! I also worked a bit at FAT performance. I knew a few of the guys at Gene Berg and had a Berg/FAT 2276 in my last bug. (57 ragtop)
I plan to do another bug soon. All stock oval window with a monster 2 litre with dual 48's... I LOVE the way 48's sound! My oval sounded great, straight cuts, monster heads with Berg triple Chevy springs, 12:1 compression, FK89 cam, was an awesome motor. I want to do something like it but this time in a stock looking oval.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:30:04 PM by aquaelvis »
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:23 AM »
Yes, I was involved in the VW scene for 25 years.  I got burned out with the travel to the dragstrips after my local one closed and started on a pro street low light ghia.  I got the car about 75% done, lost interest and it just sat for several years. When a guy in the UK made me a really nice offer for it, I let it go.

Rick

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:58:46 AM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »
I converted the Ghia to 002 bus trans with berg nosecone, narrowed rear IRS 1 5/8 each side, narrowed 5" front beam, front disc brakes.  My plan was EFI turbo motor, of which I still have most of the parts to build, including wedgemated crank, and CNC heads, ect. The guy in the UK finished the car and ran a 12.9 with a 2276 normally aspirated motor the first pass out!  And that is with a trans that is geared for a turbo street motor with really tall gearing!

The last picture above is right before it left my driveway, and the others below are it now.

Rick
Rick

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »
Really beautiful Rick!  :o
I love that engine compartment... nothing beats black tins and 48's! That is a great color.
I want to do a street bug much like that, stock color and chrome with stock wheels, slight rake to bring the front end down but with a killer motor.
I never got much into turbos, helped a buddy put one on his 68 ghia in high school. They are a pain. I just love 48's!
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
I built some brackets and arms for the belt idler pulleys today.  I am waiting on the pulleys from Wayne, should be here today or tomorrow.  I turned some spacers for the idler pulleys on my lathe, just have to determine how long they need to be.  Man, I really want to get this ridable!

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
  I got the pulleys and finished mocking up the installation.  I'll stop by the hardware store today and pick up some stronger springs.  The spring in there now is just for mockup.  I just have to weld everything and the drive system should be a go.

I also installed new axles I got from Wayne.  The old ones were really worn on the threads.  They are also threaded with what I believe to be a 7/16 - 26 thread.  Any idea where I can get a tap and die in this size?

Next up will be exhaust and tires.  With the price of the coker simplex tires going through the roof, I wish there was an alternative.  Anyone have any ideas?  I know that there are all sorts of bicycle tires to choose from, but I'm not sure I want to go 45 mph on a bike tire.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:39:44 AM by RickS »
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
Do you really think you'll be going 45 on the trike?  I built a trike bicycle back when I was a kid & it was kinda squirrelly at speed (of course, who knows how badly it was engineered by my 14 year old brain).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
Sure, why not?  As Bill E said earlier, his truck goes 35 mph and is stable, he thought 45 shouldn't be a problem.  Guy's ride harley servi-cars at 60 plus!

Rick
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
Rick, Did you see your tap and die at the Britishfasteners site? A bit pricey but looked like they have them.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
Yes, I did.  I want to make sure that is the thread size before I spring for them.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »
  Got the brake system redone.  The way I first did it, it had way too much play in it and I wasn't happy.  Now I made a cross tube, bushed it, and installed a 1/2" steel rod it it.  Nice and solid.  I also made up some brake rods and a pivot to pass the brake rod under the new honda engine.  I even used the kickstart pedal shaft as the pivot point.  I just need to pick up another bushing for it.

Rick
Rick