Author Topic: Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute  (Read 34900 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex 3 wheel Truck Tribute
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
That bellcrank is pretty spiffy.  Is your wheelbase the same as original, or did you stretch it a little? 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
That bellcrank is pretty spiffy.  Is your wheelbase the same as original, or did you stretch it a little? 

I'm not sure as I had no exact specs to go by.  I did know the dimensions of an early wood box 3 wheel truck, so I guestimated off that.  I'd bet I'm within an inch or two.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
I bought a set of cheap bicycle cruiser tires so I can get it rolling.  I'm not that happy with the wheels, they are not the straightest.  I'm on the look out for 3 2" wide wheels, but they will work for now.

I ordered a minibike exhaust and some additional tubing and bends so I can build the exhaust.  My plan is to come up and to the rear, down the middle of the valve cover, the turn 90 degrees towards the ground, then another 90 out the back under the box.  Hopefully this works without too much trouble.

Rick

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
what are 2 inch rims worth these days?  Is that one on ebay right now too rough?  He wants a lot for postage, but if a guy got it for opening bid & the pulley is useable, it amounts to 50 bucks a piece (the hub is really really rough). 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »
I don't really know what the going rate is, as I have not seen many for sale.  I think the Wollards probably have a bunch, but getting straight ones is the problem.  As Wayne once told me, they all look good laying in a pile.

Rick
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Hello , all the good work is taking shape,  My suggestion ( for what it's worth ) is to press on and don't worry about the wheels until the thing goes so fast  that it becomes necessary, Gary Wollards' pile in the north garage had probably 30 complete frames , so the stuff will be available as it comes down the pike .  You have my respect as an avid builder, this is interesting reading and the photos are "iceing on the cake"  Please keep up the good work and keep us all posted ,All the best   Larry Brown.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
I finally got the brake system finished.  I built a pivot using the stock kick start shaft to run under the motor back to an equalizer bar.  This bar than pulls on 2 shafts running out to each side of the frame.  These then pull the brake rods that run to each wheel.

I also removed the governor from the clone motor I am using, which will give a little more horsepower.

Rick

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
Rick, did you notice in that article that I posted about Erickson's truck that the box had a spring suspension?  Will you do the same, or will yours be mounted solid?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
The early boxes were spring mounted, the later were not.  I am going to solid mount mine.  Just as a side note, I recently came across a spec for the later box.  32w x 27l x 20h.

Rick
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Well, I finally got to test out my truck.  I rode it around the block, and all seems well. It certainly doesn't handle like a bike!  It requires much more care and slow speeds on turns.

Man, the exhaust is loud!  I need to put a muffler on it.  It is as loud as an uncorked harley.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:14:08 AM by RickS »
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
Nice progress Rick, lookin good!
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
I'm trying to get more work done before bringing it to Portland.  I will not have it all painted, but it should be operational.  I have the tank and front fender straight and ready for paint, and I built the wood box.  I have decided to try to spring mount it using 4 seat springs. 

Rick

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »
Hey Rick, Hows this bike coming along? what about the electric start? Are you using it to run lights?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
I need to work on the brakes.  It does not stop as good as it goes, which can get you into trouble quick.  I just got new brake linings and will put these on first, and see if that helps.  If not, I will make new, longer brake arms to increase the mechanical advantage.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »
I wasn't really happy with the plate I welded in for the engine mount, it was an off the shelf Kart mount.  It was only 1/8" and flexed too much for my liking.  I picked up a piece of 1/4 plate and made a new, bolt in plate instead.  I think it looks better and is much more secure. I still get a little vibration, and I am going to weld in a cross brace to the frame at the rear of the mount, and add another mounting boss to it.

Rick