Author Topic: 1952 Simplex 125 tail light  (Read 2957 times)

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
1952 Simplex 125 tail light
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »
does anyone know why Wayne makes his repoe tail lights with two bulbs?
the original light uses one bulb (Wayne says they don't make anymore)... but I've found plenty of 1154 6v duel fillament bulbs and the like online that could work, maybe?

GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1952 Simplex 125 tail light
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Probably because Wayne doesn't make the tail light, and the company that does, makes them for a cushman that uses two bulbs. That's my guess anyway.
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »
Probably because Wayne doesn't make the tail light, and the company that does, makes them for a cushman that uses two bulbs. That's my guess anyway.

Well... you know what they say about assuming. I guess I didn't ask enough questions.
is the cushman tail light a corrct match to the "52" Simplex 125 ?

GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »

Well... you know what they say about assuming. I guess I didn't ask enough questions.
is the cushman tail light a corrct match to the "52" Simplex 125 ?

GaryS

I am not sure.  I know they use the same lens, but I don't know much about cushman's.  Maybe someone more educated on the cushman's can fill us in.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
He does have some oem stock just ask for one. I bought one last year from him.

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
He does have some oem stock just ask for one. I bought one last year from him.

I sent him a picture of my rear fender then called and inquierd about the tail light for the "52" 125 and he told me it came as 3 peices a lens, bracket and a shroud that goes over the bracket) and it had 2 bulbs instead of the single bulb that came stock on the bike.
From all the info I've read about him on this site I assumed he made these (like the engine bracket and jack shafts he sells)... but I was wrong as Rick so gently informed me.
I'll ask about the OEM part... I was just gonna swap the 2 bulb sockets for a single bayonet socket and put a 6v 1164 bulb in it.

Thanx oil lamp,
GaryS

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »
Wayne couldn't possibly make all the parts he sells!  He is a one man band.  What he does is contract out many things, and is the owner of the molds, dies, etc, for many of the parts he sells.  Right now he is having molds made for the hand grips, as the woman that was doing them passed away last year.

I don't think Wayne does many restorations anymore, as he just doesn't have enough time.  He does build all the motors though.
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Wayne couldn't possibly make all the parts he sells!  He is a one man band.  What he does is contract out many things, and is the owner of the molds, dies, etc, for many of the parts he sells.  Right now he is having molds made for the hand grips, as the woman that was doing them passed away last year.

I don't think Wayne does many restorations anymore, as he just doesn't have enough time.  He does build all the motors though.

Yes, I spoke to him last week about building me an "M" engine for my "52" 125 and even swapping me for my "H" engine... he's just gonna charge me for what ever it costs to rebuild the "H" engine... a "NO BRAINER/DONE DEAL" in my book.
Like my father used to say "It's like a broken drum... you can't beat it!"

GaryS