Author Topic: Headlight Bulb  (Read 18417 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: Headlight Bulb
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
I felt like it looks original.  The part of windings I can see does not appear overheated.  It will not make a 21cp bulb or a 16.8watt bulb glow at all.  I will make the 5.3watt side of Sylvania 1154 super bright.
I think all the grounds and connections are good because I cleaned them yesterday and still get the same readings.  I find it odd that I am reading 18v on the headlight coil.  I would think if there is a short in the coil it would read lower than it is supposed to. I checked it with two analog meters in case the cheap meter was wrong, but I had to switch to the 50v scale on both because it pegged out on the 10v.
I am anxious to see the reading when I get an ammeter.  I will let you know.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2023, 04:44:43 AM »
My coils were more 'covered' , but , a previous owner may have added tape . See attached .

In your pic , it looks like the HL coil power wire is connected to the power wire from the top coil , via the black with blue end covers . I can't see all the wire runs , so I hope I'm wrong .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2023, 04:01:48 PM »
Just in case, I checked the wires and they are correct. Too bad, that would have been an easy fix.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 08:26:57 AM »
I did get an amperage measurement of 1.03 amps on the headlight coil.  Explains why it will light the Sylvania 5.3 watt, but not the 16.8 watt.
I will unwind the coil and replace with new wire when I get a chance.  I did find that Phelon made three different coils for the simplex depending on year, but I do not know what is different.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2023, 10:29:21 AM »
I did get an amperage measurement of 1.03 amps on the headlight coil.  Explains why it will light the Sylvania 5.3 watt, but not the 16.8 watt.
I will unwind the coil and replace with new wire when I get a chance.  I did find that Phelon made three different coils for the simplex depending on year, but I do not know what is different.
Thank you,
Scooter

I unwound my nonfunctional HL coil onto a tomato tower ( cage ) and simply painted it with regular Rustoleum paint . I let the wire dry and rewound the coil spraying paint on the coil every other round or so .
That worked . I now have headlight . ;)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2023, 10:21:25 AM »
Good morning,
I looked the coil over and did not see signs of over heating or damage but reluctantly unwound it to find nothing wrong with it.
The unwound resistance is the same as the wound resistance of approximately 1.3 ohms so it did not have a short. This matches the specification for 22 gauge wire.
Unwound length is about 81 ft 6 in.
Wire is .028 insulated OD and .025 OD bare. should be 22 gauge.  Wire is rated at 920 mAmp. which is close to what I measured for output.
310 turns on coil.

I checked my magneto part number and mine is version 1 which it should be for 1956.  I believe this coil performs as it was intended to with the 6cp bulb.  Too bad those seem nonexistant.

So, I am wondering if anyone who has a Phelon that lights a 21cp bulb knows the coil wire diameter and number of turns and resistance  and has measured the amperage?  I would like to rewind that.

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »
I made a new headlight coil and ran it.  It only barely lights the 21 cp bulb.  It is 10 volt at 1.35 amps.
The amperage is low so I am wondering if my magnets are weak even though I have good ignition spark.  Probably not going to mess with it anymore unless I get the flywheel charged.

New coil is:18 gauge wire at 297 turns using approximately 88 feet and .56 ohms. I made it longer also. The core is 1.00" and finished out at 1.85 x 1.85 x 1.05 long.  This size is almost too big and close to rotating magnets.

Old coil is: 22 gauge wire at 310 turns using approximately 81.5 feet and 1.3 ohms and core is about 7/8" and finished out at 1.43 x 1.35.

When I installed it I was wishing I had shimmed the wide side where the bent tab goes about .015 more.  It was hard to push on.

Attached are pictures of the fixture to wind it and you can see the shims I had to add because the core is a little bigger than half inch and is wider in one direction.  The carboard core in the picture is from the original, I forgot to take pictures of mine.
Thank you,
Scooter
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:45:03 AM by Scooter4 »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2023, 04:06:20 PM »
OK Scott, you have to post a picture of your lathe.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »
I inherited this lathe and all tooling from my Grand dad.  He taught me to machine.
I have a small drill press and bandsaw and a 6" lathe I bought.
love to machine.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2023, 05:32:19 PM »
Nice . And , that crank taper turned out good , too . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2023, 05:47:08 PM »
I also inherited my first lathe from my grandfather.  It was an Atlas/Craftsman 6". I passed it along to my nephew about 12 years ago, and replaced it with a SB9A, which I still have.  I supplemented it with a SB13.  I also have a Millrite vertical mill. I love having these machines, it allows me to make many things.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:54:34 PM by Ricks »
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2023, 09:51:32 AM »
Thank you, the tapers were difficult because I do not have a way to measure exact so I glide the cutting tool along a good side until it matches. I recorded the angle of the tool post, but found I wrote down the wrong number when I got to the flywheel and had to do the angle check over and some slight adjusting with the lapping.
I think the angle is near 5 degrees.
I am glad there was some keyway left for the breaker cam to use as a guide to line up.

Now I am just jealous of Ricks set up.  I have always wanted a mill, but have not bought one because I can use the one at work.
Thank you,
Scooter