Author Topic: What engine is best?  (Read 544 times)

razerface

• View Profile
What engine is best?
« on: June 26, 2022, 03:15:34 PM »
I bought an aftermarket roller at portland. I got busy and never questioned simplex hill to see what the easiest/best engine to use on it. Electric start and recoil, which engine for each?

This roller was built with the worksman wheels and briggs bolt pattern on the mount. Fiberglass fenders, tank, and seat pan. Bicycle stainless handlebars.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What engine is best?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
The easiest is the HF engine, which is a knock off of the Honda GX200 engine.  Wayne makes a kit to install this into a stock Simplex. I’m sure you could drill a few holes and install this on your Cubine brothers reproduction.

The best looking engine to install would be a Honda GC/GS 190 engine. With some work they look more like a stock Simplex motor.

Here are 2 pictures of Bill Millers GC motor in a Simplex.

Rick

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 01:12:18 PM »
Sounds like i will probly do the hf engine.  I have a new one on the shelf. I like the looks of the gx190 in the pics, but my wife gets this and I don’t need to put extreme effort into it. Dependable and easy starting is the goal. I want electric start for her too.

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 06:45:43 PM »
Does the electric start advertised for the honda engines fit the hf too?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 04:55:23 AM »
Does the electric start advertised for the honda engines fit the hf too?

I don't know, but you can buy clone motors with the electric start.  I put one on a Simplex truck that I built years ago, and Tom has one in his Simplex scooter.
Rick

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 06:45:02 AM »
HF motor will not fit. This frame needs an upright motor. I have a very nice old briggs but it is only 3.5 hp.  I heard the frame is set up and drilled when produced for a 5hp briggs. Some of those upright hondas might work too. Gs162 ? I’m not sure of the number, but saw some at portland. I read the honda gs series is a cheaply made disposable engine?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 10:33:34 AM »
Honda GC160 is a 5 hp engine. GC 190 is the 6 hp version.  GS 190 is the heavy duty version of the GC, with a cast iron cylinder.  I’d think either a GC or GS engine would last a long time. I have a GC 190 in a pressure washer that is 15 years old, runs like a top!

The GC/GS series are not available is electric start.  I used a GS190 on my Simplex stretch, and I made a kick start for it.
Rick

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 12:01:23 PM »
The internet is telling me the gc engine is alum bore with plastic cam and bushings on the crank, gs is steel bore with plastic cam and bearing on one end of crank, and gx is steel bore with steel cam, rebuildable carb and bearings on crank made to run all day long.  ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 01:04:47 PM »
The GX is the same design as the HF Predator.  If the HF will not fit, how is the GX?  I think a GS is the way to go. 

If the GC/GS were really that bad, would Honda still be building them for 20 years?  I believe the clone motors all have the plastic cams also.  I wouldn't worry one bit about it.
Rick

razerface

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »
I agree. The gs is what i am thinking should be used.

Stevo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 11:30:54 AM »
   I have a GC190 waiting to go in my Simplex #1.   I'm going with belt drive to a sheave.  Maybe a Whizzer Sheave.