Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57090 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2015, 05:30:05 PM »
FWIW , It looks OK to me .

Form follows function .

I still think a neat little three or four cylinder would fill that hole nicely . ;)

Pete . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 03:07:39 AM »
Maybe I'm not understanding?  Where is the main drive pulley (that 3-4" pulley with belt that goes to your rear tire sheave) on your jackshaft mounting? Will there be enough clearance for the tire?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »
Maybe I'm not understanding?  Where is the main drive pulley (that 3-4" pulley with belt that goes to your rear tire sheave) on your jackshaft mounting? Will there be enough clearance for the tire?

I haven't bought one yet. There should be plenty of room for the belt, as my pillow block bearings are mounted right under the frame rails.

Drive pulley will mount right inside of the bearing. I haven't decided on the use of an idler pulley yet. I know it will not be needed, but it just seems right on a simplex.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:18:02 AM by RickS »
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
They look a hundred times better than the one I used. Mine hold with help from the man upstairs but they are holding for now.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
I too considered incorporating an idler pulley (with tensioner spring) so "belt tension adjustment" wouldn't be critical but instead, ended up making a pair of rear axel tensioners instead, figuring just one less thing to deal with...(pivot point, spring, idler wheel & bearing, etc...)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
Been slow going on the stretch lately.  I did make a motor mounting plate, and welded it in.  I chose to make the motor not movable, so the exhaust can be built like a stock Simplex and mount to one of the engine mounting bolts.  I also used a holesaw to make a hole for the front and rear oil drains, so there shouldn't be much mess when draining the oil.

I also profiled the bearing blocks on the belt sander, and I think they look much better now.  Not so blocky, more streamlined.

The last picture is my new Tig welder that my wife bought me for Christmas!  I can't wait to learn what I am doing with it.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:58:15 AM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
never tried TIG welding but we have a couple of that exact same model at work and the guys love it.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
never tried TIG welding but we have a couple of that exact same model at work and the guys love it.

Tom, did one of the guys you work with weld your tank? That has some nice welds on it!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
yes.  welded it before I even bought the roller bike.  I formed it and tacked it up.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
I don't know , Rick . It looks like you don't have enough room for that TIG ... You can send it to me for 'storage' . ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 06:15:14 PM »
you will want to prep steel by removing any scale.  impurities directly effect the  outcome.  will need to sand or grind were welding at.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
you will want to prep steel by removing any scale.  impurities directly effect the  outcome.  will need to sand or grind were welding at.

Thanks Tom, I know that cleanliness is very important in Tig.  I still need to get a pure argon tank and some filler rod before I try it out. 

If anyone is considering the HF welding cabinet, I highly recommend it.  The only part that I thought sucks on it are the wheels. I had a nice pair of swivel casters laying around that I used, and threw the ones that came with it in a box.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
I don't know , Rick . It looks like you don't have enough room for that TIG ... You can send it to me for 'storage' . ;)

Don't worry Pete, I will find a place for it.  My next house is going to have a detached workshop for sure.  The wife doesn't like the fumes from grinding, welding and painting.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »

Don't worry Pete, I will find a place for it.  My next house is going to have a detached workshop for sure.  The wife doesn't like the fumes from grinding, welding and painting.

Well , I tried . :)

Maybe a fan blowing out a window would help with fumes ?
But , a real shop is a big plus .

Pete , :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
Your stretch is really looking good Rick, motor really looks at home on the new plate. RC