Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57088 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2016, 03:32:33 AM »
Lots and lots of coffee really helps your hand while tig welding also.  LOL.  I prefer to use my X2 magnification lens for TIG welding at work.  Allows me to keep a better "eye" on the "keyhole" effect for better penetration, especially on AC for aluminum

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »
Have you fitted the carb and filter in there yet? It looks really close to the shaft. You may be running into a problem.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
He's got a brand new welder that can solve that problem , Reese . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2016, 09:46:32 AM »
Have you fitted the carb and filter in there yet? It looks really close to the shaft. You may be running into a problem.

Carb is on motor.  I have 4" from back of carb to the jackshaft.  I will make an adapter pipe from the carb that bends 90 degrees down and adapt to a stock simplex air filter.  I will have the air filter looking relatively stock.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
Are the bearings on those pillow blocks 5/8 inside?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
Are the bearings on those pillow blocks 5/8 inside?

No, 3/4".  They are available in many sizes though.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
Ok I see the carb now. I guess with the extra length you have the room to move around. Looking good so far.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
Ok I see the carb now. I guess with the extra length you have the room to move around. Looking good so far.

Reese, it's always good to have extra length!  lol
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »
BTW Rick Kodo's on the purchase of the Lincoln welder. Puts my Eastwood to shame but my rig is backed with a new mig with a plasma cutter as s a wingman.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
BTW Rick Kodo's on the purchase of the Lincoln welder. Puts my Eastwood to shame but my rig is backed with a new mig with a plasma cutter as s a wingman.

I would like to get a plasma cutter one of these days also.  I have had my Lincoln mig for more than 20 years and have never had an issue with it.  One of the best tools I have ever purchased.  I hope the Tig is just as reliable.

Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
Looking good Rick. I have the exhaust that my brother made for the stock motor on my bike just hanging in my garage. It isn't exactly like the stock simplex exhaust, but is close. Think you could adapt it to fit yours??

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 04:58:55 AM »
Looking good Rick. I have the exhaust that my brother made for the stock motor on my bike just hanging in my garage. It isn't exactly like the stock simplex exhaust, but is close. Think you could adapt it to fit yours??

Maybe, but I am going to build one from the ground up.  With the stretched frame, the pipes will need to be longer.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:38 AM »
Got some parts in from Wayne a couple of days ago.  I ordered one of his kickstart kits for the clone engine, and have adapted it to the Honda GC motor.  As some that have used the kit know, Wayne supplies a plate that slips between the motor and the engine mounting plate.  This plate has the shaft on it.  I decided not to use this, but instead make my own shaft, and weld it directly to my motor mount.  As Wayne's plate is 3/16", and my plate is 3/8", I had to removed 3/16" from the top of the shaft so it would have the proper distance between the pinion and sector gears.  Putting the flat spot on the shaft also gave me a much better fit up to weld the shaft to the motor mount.

I will also shorten the pinion gear to move the kickstart closer to the flywheel, and it will come to a rest on the stock simplex kick return plate.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2016, 07:37:15 AM »
Rick I really like the look of this kick started & am really interested in watching your progress on the complete build. I have a bad shoulder & pull starts are off the table as a design, plus it's not a pretty sight to see an old guy bent over pull starting his pride and joy.

I am sold on the Honda clones however & eventually I'd like to build a drop loop Indian board tracker single with a small 160 cc clone & a constant velocity belt primary to final chain. Kick starter is a must have before beginning such a build & looks as though this is the answer, probably build my own after you've solved all MY problems lol.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 07:43:19 AM »
 Rick ,

Maybe it's too early , but , I'm having a hard time imagining how the flywheel fits into that set up .

Pete . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)