Author Topic: Simplex Stretch  (Read 57074 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Stretch
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
Rick ,

Maybe it's too early , but , I'm having a hard time imagining how the flywheel fits into that set up .

Pete . :)

Pete, I don't understand your question.  The flywheel is on the motor???
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:45 AM »
Ha . I told you it was too early ...

I didn't recognize the flywheel as being such . DUH ...

Agreed , that kicker can go a lot closer .

Sorry for exposing you ( all ) to my confusion .
At least you'll get a bit of neck exercise from shaking your heads in disbelief . LOL

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:04 AM »
As anyone who has built a simplex without the stock motor knows, the brake rod gets in the way.  On the clone conversions, what most people do is just raise the motor high enough to let the brake rod pass underneath.  In the case of upright motors, this is really not practical, as you run out of room up top.  I also feel that the motor should stay as low as possible for a better center of gravity.

I spent a lot of time looking at solutions, but each has their own set of issues.  I wanted the brake rod up above the frame rails for safety reasons.  I have seen some that are so low they look like they would catch on a speed bump or pothole, with disastrous results.

So check out the pictures and see what you think of my solution.  It is not welded up yet, but I feel confident that it is safe and sound.

What I forgot to show is the bell crank that will go in the rear frame rail to transfer the brake rod from outside the frame to inside.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:26:49 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »
I like that design and don't see anything that might go wrong .

I probably would have just tacked the transfer pivot a bit farther back and under the frame tube , but maybe that would interfere with the wheel ???

Not that it'll be needed , but , you could increase the leverage and / or amount of pedal travel .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
I like that design and don't see anything that might go wrong .

I probably would have just tacked the transfer pivot a bit farther back and under the frame tube , but maybe that would interfere with the wheel ???

Not that it'll be needed , but , you could increase the leverage and / or amount of pedal travel .

Pete, I had mocked it up just under the frame, but I didn't like the way it looked, and it could get caught on something.  Insetting it into the frame rail just looked so much cleaner, and nothing to get snagged on. 
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
As long as you have enough travel it should work. Looks better than the way mine was done by going under.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »
Hmm, I got lucky (I guess) because I didn't have to do anything except bend the stainless brake rod just a tiny bit in order to miss the motor mount bolt head (under the plate) when the brake is engaged. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
Hmm, I got lucky (I guess) because I didn't have to do anything except bend the stainless brake rod just a tiny bit in order to miss the motor mount bolt head (under the plate) when the brake is engaged. 

You used Wayne's motor mount, correct?  He designed it to lift the motor high enough for the brake rod to pass under.  Like I said in the first post, this works on the lay down style Honda GX and clone motors, but not with an upright motor.  The Honda GC motor I am using will look much more Simplex like than those rear facing cylinder motors.  The look I am trying to achieve is to keep it as close to stock Simplex as possible, but with a modern power plant.

I could have just used a Morse cable, but I didn't think that was in keeping with "The Look".
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »
Gotcha...Your right, I missed that. Sorry.

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
Well thought out & your reasoning for positioning above the plate are sound. Kick start looks killer on the clone. RC

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »
I got the kick start and the brakes all buttoned up.  They both work real well.  I move the kick starter in about 1/2, so it now sits on the stock resting point on the frame.  I am mulling ideas for a flywheel cover.  Leading the list now is an 8" x 2" aluminum cake pan.  I will drill the center out of it so the pinion gear can pass through and make a small cover for that. Just need to figure out how to mount it to the engine.

As for the brakes, I need to make an attachment point for a return spring.  Should be simple to spin one up on the lathe and weld it on.

As a note, I have nothing hanging down lower than stock, which to me was important from a safety standpoint!

Only 5 months to Portland!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:48:29 AM by RickS »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Wayne has the small cover that attaches to the side cover that keeps from exposing the pinion gear.  Might be nice so as to keep your Simplex looking like a Simplex. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:09 AM »
Wayne has the small cover that attaches to the side cover that keeps from exposing the pinion gear.  Might be nice so as to keep your Simplex looking like a Simplex.  

Did not know Wayne had that available.  I will definitely get one in the next order.  Thanks Tom!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:48:47 AM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »
Here is my flywheel cover.  I tapped 3 holes on the engine case for mounting points.  I also removed a few parts of the engine case that were not needed, and profiled a couple of the cooling fins to match the others.

With a pinion cover on there, I think it will look decent enough.

Next thing to think about is the exhaust.  I will be using a front "muffler", as per Simplex, but not sure what I will do with the pipes.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:55:44 AM by RickS »
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
Cleans it up a bit . Will you be covering the coil, Rick ?