Author Topic: New Old Guy  (Read 9796 times)

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
New Old Guy
« on: May 08, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
 As all will find out in time, I am computer challenged. I have recently bought a pretty nice rolling chassis Simplex. I have contacted a couple of guys on here via email and they were very helpful. I tried logging on for several days with no luck. Anyway, I am old pipeline welder and now a construction manager for a major pipeline company. I am wanting to put a Horizontal head motor on the bike[for the look] and looking at options. I will read through all the post first and try not to ask any questions already covered. Remember me and computer are not best friends. I am currently trying to figure out what year my back is. I do not know how to post pictures but I do know how to send over the phone. I live in south Texas and currently working on project in east Texas. I also am building a 66 TT triumph bobber and a 59 buick 2 dr hrdtop. Hopefully I may be able to answer a few questions along the way. Thanks Guys looking forward to learning about my simplex. TP

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Old Guy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
Welcome TP!  Posting pictures here is easy. Just click the Additional Options button below the box you type your message in.  It is pretty self explanatory.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
Welcome to the site!  Lots of literature posted here also.  But if you don't find your answers just ask....we don't mind!

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
Hello and Welcome to the forum family . Enjoy!

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »
Welcome & congrats on finding a Simplex to build on. Lots of experience here to assist with your new project.  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03:49 PM »
Welcome TP .

If you don't know how old your back is , look on your drivers license . Date of birth is usually on there , somewhere . LOL

As for finding what year your bike is , there might be a number stamped on the underside of the steering support >

Post that number and we'll help you figure it out or at least get close if we can see a pic or two .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »
Glad to see you finally made it om the site. These guys can be a lot of help. once you figure out how to post pics, I also want to see a pic of the Triumph bobber. When I was a kid the first bike I bought was a 650 Bonneville chopper, it looked cool when I was done building it, but never got to ride it because I couldn't get running.....I was really mechanically challenged back then. Then later on I bought a 78 750 Bonneville, it was stock, and I run the wheels off of it. Good luck on your project, post pics of your progress along the way.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:12 AM »
As you learn how to navigate yourself around the forum posting pictures will help to identify the year of your bike.  Simplex made many changes when and where they saw fit regardless of year ends or not.  Paul Treen was a "continual improvement" guy!  So coupling photos with a serial number will be a big help.  If you reach under the steering area and feel a plate there then likely there will be a serial number stamped on it.  If you find a number please post it and as we uncover the 'mysteries' of your ride you will be added to the registry with other greats that came before you!!  Thanks and hope you enjoy your  Simplex as much as we do.

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
OK Ricks how do I get picture from phone to forum? That's where I have all my pictures. PD you made me go back and read. I looked on my drivers license and there is no picture. LOL. I'm terrible about proof reading. I'll try harder. There is no number under the neck. The seat spring is welded on and straight. Gas tank has screw on cap on right side, handle bars has curved mounting bracket with twist grip. Can I send a picture to someone from my phone to their phone? I know how to do that. Told you I was challenged! Also I read that round floor boards were important. Heck  it may be a bunch of parts put together, but they are nice parts for sure. kick stand is on the back also. Does any of this help?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »
TP ,

Can you send a pic to an email ? If so feel free to send it to me and I'll post it . Or , you could sign up for a free Photobucket.com account , upload it to there and then post the IMG tags here .

Maybe this will help identification  :

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=293.msg1753#msg1753

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
TP, private message sent with phone #.
Rick

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 05:52:08 PM »
PD, My bike looks like the 45H type. It has no serial number either. The frame is straight with no doglegs in the frame. The front fender has a curved brace. It has skinny tires and a teardrop type taillight. Gas tank as screw on neck on right side. It may be a bunch of put together parts but I truly don't care. They are a cool looking little bike. I was going to send you pix to email but it is not listed. I have a picture of a small bobber type bike I hand built for my son in 95 I'd like to send to post also. I have owned a bunch of neat old bikes. Harleys[everybody has them] 38 famous James[sold recently], and building a 66 TT 650 triumph factory flat tracker. I also mess with old cars. I am currently building a 59 buick mild custom and just sold a 28 closed cab, chopped top, 425, 2x4 nailhead pickup. Pure hotrod

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 07:07:26 PM »
Here is the picture TP sent me.  I would say the bike is definitely made up of parts from various years.  It is screaming for an engine conversion and make it a rider.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
Looks like a pretty good start , which ever way you take it .

I wonder if you could fit that 650 motor in there . ;)

You do have options .

tprice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 04:07:27 AM »
Sellers love guys like me. I was told it was a 40's model. I didn't know and really didn't care. After reading hours of post from very knowledgable people I figured out I have a "mutt". Lol. I still like it. Thanks for help guys.