Author Topic: Motorcycle lift  (Read 2785 times)

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Motorcycle lift
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
My shop space is limited and I would hate to tie up a bunch of space (and money) in a work station that is devoted to only one project. I have been looking at various things that I could use as a motorcycle lift and other projects also. If I do have to limit it to only a motorcycle I would like to keep it's shop presence to a minimum. What do you think of these three items as lifts. In order, #1 lifts 2' high and costs $80, #2 lifts 27"high and costs $160, #3 lifts 30" high and costs $180
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:44:51 PM by Bob Gurkin »

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Re: Motorcycle lift
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
Well the order got screwed up. They should be red, yellow, blue

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
Hi Bob, I think the red one is a waste. As light as these bikes are, you could just pick it up and put it on a milk crate or two and get the same affect.  I like the table style lift, how large is the table?  A real motorcycle lift would be cool, but they are quite big and expensive.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Hi Rick. That table is about 2 1/2' x 18"  One of the neat things about it is that it is that it has wheels and can be turned to any angle. A strap would lock the bike down. If I had the room for a motorcycle lift they run about $500.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Bob,  did you ever buy a lift?  If I had a Harbor Freight close by, I would go look at one of theirs.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
Hi Rick. Remember some time ago I got my Simplex that I had purchased and put it in the kitchen? Shortly thereafter I had some health probs and that darn thing is still sitting there. My shop expansion came to a screeching halt and most other activities. About all I am doing right now is flapping my jaws about what I would like to do and enjoying the activities of others with various bikes here and there. I especially like your project and only wish I could participate. Hopefully, I will be able to take a more active participation in the near future, but until that time I am chair bound :/

Regarding Harbor Freight, that is my favorite place and nearly all of my tools and equipment came from there. I have bought a few that proved to be duds, but they will make them good. I have not found any place that will beat their prices and the staff are friendly and for the most part knowlegable.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
Bob, sorry to hear that your health is not so good.  Hopefully a speedy recovery and you can get to work on that simplex. 
Have you heard anything about Gary Wollard?  I tried calling him to see about his new book, but have not heard back?
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
The last thing I heard from Gary was that his health is kinda fragile also and he is battling cancer. He said he was putting everything on hold for a time. I do not know what his status is at this time.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
Bob, did you ever buy a lift?
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile