Author Topic: clutch noise  (Read 17859 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
clutch noise
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:44 AM »
I'll ask again since nobody answered...Might have been busy getting ready for Portland, etc...Does anyone/everyone ever experience a slight rattle noise from there engine clutch (series 30) while either "at idle" and/or during engagement?  With the new muffler packing, my bike is actually pretty quite while running, so I may just be being too picky and fixated on it. You know how that can be I'm sure...I'm working on a solution.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: clutch noise
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
They all rattle a little, from what I have experienced.  Have you noticed any difference between the Comet and the China version?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »
"They all rattle a little, from what I have experienced."

Same here . That being many years past . So , they must not have changed design much .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
I'm taking them to my buddy who runs a machine shop to measure them up and see what exactly the tolerances are.  Then I'm looking into a couple theories to possibly decrease the tolerances and thus reduce the rattle issue.  1st option/theory is possibly coating the bushing via hard chrome or some type of plating.  2nd option, maybe just shimming with shim stock?  Gotta make a couple calls and/or stop in to places I've found and/or dealt with to see what they can do for me...Not a big deal but, if it could be done relatively cheap/easy, why not???  Always nice to improve and/or customize.  Not to mention I REALLY need something to occupy my time since being out of work. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
I wonder what a bit of spray bed liner on the inside 'wall' of the bell would do . Or , a thin plastic layer .
It shouldn't wear as there should be very little contact , if any . It might just take up some of the side play , reducing rattle .

Just thinking of possibilities ...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:56:20 PM by pd »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:18 AM »
YEP...My first thought was right along that line.  I talked with a powder-coating guy and asked about the latest spray/bake PC's and if they have something that would be relatively abrasion resistant and take 175 degrees or so?  Still going to investigate that avenue, along with spray on Ceramic coatings???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:23:12 AM by carryall »

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:49 PM »
After some running around and research, decided to try shims.  This clutch (new one) I ended up using .002-.003 brass shim stock. Took a while to figure out how to prevent the shims from shifting/moving in order to prevent them possibly interfering with free movement of the belt bushing.  I'll install and run it tomorrow and see. As the shim stock conforms to the radius of the bushing, it'll loosen up a bit I'm guessing? Might work?  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:35:13 AM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Hmm, I guess we'll find out .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
WOW...What a difference. You don't realize how much noise it really makes, till it's gone!!!   Not a rattle or noise from it now, either at idle or engagement.  One other source of "rattle noise" is the sloppy "gap tolerance between the bushings keyway and the slot in the crankshaft.  I did a quick fix with some Teflon tape for now, but later I might build it up with silver solder and fit it properly. (Didn't want to locktite or epoxy for future disassembly)  I'd recommend checking/fixing the keyway/crank tolerance first, then work from there, if it "bothers you".  Or just having a louder exhaust than mine also solves the problem.     

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
Way to chase down the issue! If the noise starts to bother me, I may do the same.  Thanks for taking the time to post the solution here for everyone's benefit.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »
Good deal . Now you'll be better able to sneak up on ...

Anyway , I like quiet machinery , too . Let's me think that it's not coming apart , anytime soon . ;)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
No problem.  I know the site is especially useful to guys who are restoring bikes to "original condition" for technical and reference needs, etc. But since I don't have a Servi motor, Figured I'd post what my repairs and modifications are, for future reference and, to contribute something back to the website.   (BTW, I'm thinking of using some glass bedding (steel-bed from Brownells) I have left over from a long range rifle build.  Incredibly tough stuff that I think should work just as well, and be alot easier than trying to preheat, flux, file and pencil torch inside the bushing. Suppose JB weld would work also)  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:57:38 PM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
How about getting a thicker key to better fit the bushing and down size the 'belly' to fit the crankshaft .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
I wish it would be that easy.  The 3/16" key is machined into/part of the bushing, and then slides into the machined slot on the crank, like the engine side half of the clutch. (Check out the pic of the inside clutch housing with the bushing in it) It was machined under-sized, because I checked with a new 3/16" key and that fit really snug!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:56:02 PM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
I see . I should have caught that .

So , maybe a slice or two of that brass shim stock in the crank key way ?