Author Topic: Where to get bearings / seals and points?  (Read 4137 times)

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to get bearings / seals and points?
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

My rod bearing is shot...rolls very rough and had a ton of rust in it, I need to find a new rod bearing. I have not pulled the crank yet but I can only assume the main bearing is shot as well.

My points look to be fried..I am looking for points as well.....

So where does one find parts like seals, bearings and points?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where to get bearings / seals and points?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Check the parts suppliers listing for Wayne Mahaffey.  I've dealt with him a lot over the last couple of months and he has just about everything for these bikes.
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Thanks Rick,  I will give him a call

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
Dan, wait until monday to call.  I called to order some stuff today and his wife called back and said they are on vacation this week.
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »
no problem I'm out of town until monday anyway...

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »

Spoke with Wayne today, great guy, has everything I need so I fired a check to him this morning...now the long wait for the parts to show up so I can get started! In the mean time I will be media blasting and painting the frame and other parts.

I did dig the frame out today and found the frame number 13097 ...not sure if that correlates to anything accept it has to be after 1951? Didn't they start numbering the frames in 1952?

Does not match the engine number M22148 in any way but chances are it is not the original engine.

My transmission is wrong too, the one that came with the bike is a manual clutch which I do like, however the frame is setup for an automatic clutch. Wayne said I could just weld a gusset to the frame and mount a clutch pedal, or buy an automatic clutch...personally I like the manual clutch idea but hate the idea of molesting the frame....probably will purchase an  automatic clutch. Might need to call Wayne back on that...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
Glad you got in touch with Wayne.  I spoke to him this afternoon and he was going to try to get my parts out to me today!  Hopefully this is all I need to get it running!
Rick

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:02 AM »

Got my parts from Wayne yesterday, faster than I expected and I'm no where near ready for them  ;D Still stripping the old paint off of everything. Got my Coker tires and tubes yesterday as well but still stripping the rims...going to be a week or so before I can paint and start assembling...