Author Topic: My Military Simplex Build  (Read 6846 times)

trooper82

• View Profile
My Military Simplex Build
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
Things I’ve done since my last post;

I replaced the oval footboards that I had installed with a set that I fabricated to match the octagonal Model G design. I replaced the Whizzer rear wheel belt sheave with a Simplex one. The wire mesh on the side of the chain guard that I fabricated didn’t achieve the look I was after so I covered the mesh with a solid plate. I fabricated a clutch pedal and linkage, the clutch pedal isn’t functional but it just didn’t look right to me without one. I ran the wiring for the headlight and tail light (just temporarily for now as I haven’t figured out how I’m going to power them up yet). I used cloth wire loom for covering the wiring of the headlight, kill switch and tail light. I’m now re-doing the rear brake pedal and linkage trying to improve on my initial effort.

I got an email on Friday that my seat is just about complete and should be shipped (hopefully) by the end of this week or early next. Once it arrives I’ll be working on getting that installed.

Mike

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Re: My Military Simplex Build
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
You are doing a first rate job Trooper. I am going to have to follow in your footsteps it looks like. I had hoped to sell this rolling frame I have here, but that went belly up. Soooo. I have been gathering parts for this build. So far I have picked up a foot crank for the Briggs motor and a Thompson Submachine Gun to mount on the front wheel. (Airsoft) and like you I will have to fabricate the rest of it. I have no intention of paying $300 for a windshield or the same for a Thompson gun sheath.

Are those Simplex tires on the bike? I doubt I will pay much for the tires and was thinking of using the Whizzer 3" tires. In anycase I know you have put a lot of time and effort into your bike and you have done a great job. Thanks for sharing.

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the positive comments.

I used Worksman 26” x 2.25 wheels/tires on mine. I have a pair of original Simplex wheels but they are in need of a complete restoration, maybe later this year I’ll tackle that job.

I too have a Thompson that I’m thinking about mounting on the front forks. I have a M1A1 carbine scabbard from At the Front that I’m thinking about using. With the magazine removed my Thompson does fit in it and I know that the carbine scabbards were used on the Harley WLA’s.

Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
Mike,  looks really good! 

Do you like the worksman wheels?  They look well built, and pretty inexpensive as well.  Did you happen to measure the width of the worksman wheel in comparison to the original simplex wheel?
  I called the worksman factory and spoke to one of the product engineers about the possibility of getting a wider wheel made, as the simplex 2" wide wheels look exactly like the worksman wheel.   They claim that they build the bikes here in america, and I thought maybe they made them in their factory in NY.  But that is not the case, they just build the frames and assemble the bikes here, everything else comes from china.  I asked him if I ordered 100 2" wide rims, could he get them made, he said he didn't think anyone would build them unless I ordered several thousand!  There went that idea!
Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Hi Rick and thanks,

Yes, I like the Worksman wheels. They are well built, all steel and hefty. I know from reading on the motorbike forums most of the guys use them on their custom builds. And you’re right as they are pretty inexpensive. I’ve done some pricing on what it will run to redo my Simplex wheels and it will be somewhere in the range of $700 by the time I’m all done. I’ve seen a guy who has Simplex tires and tubes on ebay and they run $400 for a set.

As best as I can measure the Worksman width at the hub is ~ 3 15/16”. My Simplex wheels measure ~ 4 1/16” for the front and ~ 4 ½” for the rear.

On another note my new seat came today so I’ll be fabricating a T bar this weekend to mount it. Here’s a pic with the new seat placed on so I could get an idea of how it’s going to look.

Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
Thanks Mike.  FYI, you can buy simplex tires through summit racing for $99 each.  They are the ones made by coker tire and have the simplex logo down the middle of the tire.

How wide is the actual rim on the worksman wheels?  I'd guess something like 1 1/2 inches on the outside.

Are your simplex rims the 1" wide or 2" wide rims? 

You could lace your simplex hub into a worksman wheel, I think this would be pretty easy to do.  Worksman sells rims only, unpainted for about $28, and you can get new spokes from Wayne Mahaffey for $40 a set.

Keep updating us, and I'll do the same when I get some more work done.

Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Hi Rick,

The Worksman wheels measure a hair under 1 3/4" on the outside of the rim.

Thanks for the lead on the tires and spokes. I've thought about swaping out the hubs on my Worksman wheels with my Simplex ones.

I wonder if the Simplex tires would work on the Worksman wheels or if the tire size or bead type would prevent it?

I finished making the T bar for my seat support today. I anyone is interested I could post some pictures and details. The fabrication was not as difficult as I anticipated it to be.

Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
I believe a simplex rim is the same size as a 26" bicycle wheel.  In the very early simplex years, they used a rim made by an english bicycle maker and an american bicycle tire.  I know that you can put a simplex tire on any of the 4 different wheels that were used over the years.

Post a picture of the seat support with the new seat!

Mike, did you check out that 3 wheel truck on ebay?
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
That is a serious looking seat Mike. You have done a beautiful job. Looking forward to seeing the mount :)

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Hi Bob and Rick,

Thanks for the info on the tires. I think I might order a set in the future and try them out.

Here are some pictures of the seat mount. I made it out of 1½”x ¼” and 1”x 1/2” flat stock. The most difficult part was getting the bend in the ¼” stock which worked out to be about 10 degrees. Since the stud posts on the seat pan are tapped for 5/16”-24, that’s the size I used for all 4 of the bolts and nuts.

I ordered the seat from the SaddleShop. A bit pricey but a really well made quality seat. It’s a Harley military saddle with the three scuff buttons on each side. According to Chuck (also a Simplex owner) at the SaddleShop, Simplex also used the Harley military seat on their military bikes.     

Yes, I checked out the Simplex 3-wheeler. Someone got a great start at a nice ride.

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:24:30 AM »

Very nice build Trooper, I am interested in your exhaust on that bike? Did you have to make that or is it from another bike/mini bike? It looks great, is it quiet ?

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
That is a heck of a nice build Troop. Just keeps getting better and better  :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
That seat looks awesome!  I wonder if the saddleshop will give me a discount on 2 of them!  What color is that seat leather called?
Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
Thanks all for the positive comments.

Vintage, The muffler, flex pipe and muffler brackets are repop’s from Dennis Carpenter Cushman reproductions. I had to make the transition pipe from the engine to the flex pipe. If you’re interested I can dig up the part numbers. It’s a lot quieter than the original Briggs shorty exhaust but still has a nice sound.

Rick, I don’t know about a discount, you’d have to talk to Chuck and Jo. I’m not sure about the color. The seat they built was the Simplex military saddle, sample picture they sent me is below. You can get any color you want though.

vintage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:57 AM »

thanks Trooper, great info for a new owner getting started restoring my first simplex...