Author Topic: New 1954 Truck  (Read 22128 times)

ndian22

• View Profile
Re: New 1954 Truck
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »
Really nice progress Rick!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
That's a nice keyway you put in that shaft!   Do your pulleys have the other set screw hole also? I know sometimes manufacturers do not add the second hole.  It is good to lock the key in place with one then another set screw to lock the pulley to the shaft.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »
There is only 1 set screw in the pulley.  I didn’t know about using 2 of them.  I think I will add another to the pulleys before I have them
powder coated.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
Installed the handlebars and throttle assembly.  I don't know why, buy sometimes the throttles go together easily, sometimes they fight you. This one was a wrestling match!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
Do you ever use alcohol or something to remove any slippery residue from the mold release before you hair spray the handle bar and install the grips.  Then use the wife's good hair spray!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
Do you ever use alcohol or something to remove any slippery residue from the mold release before you hair spray the handle bar and install the grips.  Then use the wife's good hair spray!

I use a paint pre cleaner.  I have found that Wayne’s new left handgrip is too large.  I had to use 4 wraps of tape to get a good tight fit.  I found the same thing last year when I restored the 1955.  I should ask him if the mold was made slightly too large on the id.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
That answers a lot for me. I had ended up with two right grips through a bike purchase and picked up two lefts while in Portland.  Kind of thought I got two more rights.   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
I took Tom's advice and added a second set screw to the drive pulleys.  I don't know how I ever worked without a mill, it made the job so much easier.

I installed the brakes and front wheel and she is now a roller.  I have some engine parts on order from Wayne, and hope to get that done later this month.

I have a few parts to send to the powder coater, and then I will move on to making a front fender and the box.

No chance to have it at Portland this year, but I am trying to have it running by the end of the summer.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
I took Tom's advice and added a second set screw to the drive pulleys.  I don't know how I ever worked without a mill, it made the job so much easier.

I installed the brakes and front wheel and she is now a roller.  I have some engine parts on order from Wayne, and hope to get that done later this month.

I have a few parts to send to the powder coater, and then I will move on to making a front fender and the box.

No chance to have it at Portland this year, but I am trying to have it running by the end of the summer.

Looking real nice , Rick .

Can we expect it to be in Portland NEXT Summer ? ;)

You'll likely have a different bike there , then .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
I took Tom's advice and added a second set screw to the drive pulleys.  I don't know how I ever worked without a mill, it made the job so much easier.

I installed the brakes and front wheel and she is now a roller.  I have some engine parts on order from Wayne, and hope to get that done later this month.

Looking real nice , Rick .

Can we expect it to be in Portland NEXT Summer ? ;)

You'll likely have a different bike there , then .

It will be at Portland next summer for sure!  Now, that doesn't mean it may not come home with me.  lol
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
Ya can't just keep 'em all . I mean your garage would have to be a lot bigger . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
Test fit one of my homemade front fenders.  It needs a little more work, but is close.  We need a source for new fenders, as these take quite a bit of time to get right.  I once saw a video of a fender rolling machine a guy in Australia built to do motorcycle fenders, but it was pretty elaborate.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Rick ,

To an untrained eye , that fender looks perfect .
Heck , it looks pretty good to me . But , I don't have it in hand .

Reese has a press . Maybe we could encourage him to do some fenders , along with the tanks . ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
Rick ,

To an untrained eye , that fender looks perfect .
Heck , it looks pretty good to me . But , I don't have it in hand .

Reese has a press . Maybe we could encourage him to do some fenders , along with the tanks . ;)

I'm still waiting on those tanks! 
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »
Maybe we can get Reese to take a sabbatical from his job and concentrate on doing a bunch of tanks and having a couple fender molds made up . LOL