Author Topic: It's Scooterific!  (Read 13140 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's Scooterific!
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
So here is what I am working on.  Bought this while at Portland last year.  For now I have pretty must been referring to it as a 1958.  Still understanding the changes these had. It came with some side covers that were hand cut and since buying it I have found and original one.  Shown in these pics.  Just recently I repopped them off of the CNC plasma cutter at work.  Took a little doing because had to measure and then draw them into the program but they turned out nice and right on with the original.  I plan to have one set original and louver up the other set for fun.  Then switch them out as I wish.  Anyhow, this resto is well under way!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:51:09 PM by kartjockey »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It's Scooterific!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Looking good To! Did you decide on an engine yet?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »
Looks like a fun project , Tom .

Seems to be plenty room in there for a decent go fast motor ... electric start , too . ;)
Maybe a small block Chevy ? LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
Cool scoot. Though the Simplex cycles were quite common here in Indian Territory when I was a lad during the 1950"s; I don't recall ever seeing a scooter by Simplex, though I've seen them in other locales later in life. Western Auto sold Simplex cycle in Oklahoma re=branded under the Western Auto trademark "Wizard". These were identical to the Simplex except for company badging. Does anyone know if they also sold the Simplex/ "Wizard" scooters at their numerous retail outlets or only the cycles?  Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing a Wizard ( Simplex ) scooter , just the bikes .

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing a Wizard ( Simplex ) scooter , just the bikes .

I agree with Pete.  Wizard was only a 1 or 2 year deal, and was all over before Simplex brought out the scooter.
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I was afraid I'd just forgotten the scooter (Old guy) & also the short duration of the Wizard in Western Autos inventory. That brings another round of questions. Was 1957 to '59 or '60   about right for the Wizard & did any other associated merchandisers have private label deals with Simplex...perhaps using a name other than Wizard, which Western Auto used for a wide range of their products car automotive parts & batteries etc.?

Most of the Wizards around here were red or dark blue, but that might have just been what the area dealers ordered in.

Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 06:42:11 PM »
After buying this I have sice bought a roto tiller with a genuine like new GC190 on it.  But pretty sure I will be running what is in the box!(?)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »
You didn't buy a diesel, did you?  That would be pretty cool!
Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 04:51:11 AM »
Because of the nice side panels you fabricated I'd guess & hope it's got an electric start feature. Rick C.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 05:27:20 AM »
Here is Travis removing the motor mount that had been added at one point.  Plus some other extraneous intrusions to Treen's excellence.  I get him to do all of my dirty work!  LoL.  From here it's off to the sand blaster. And hopefully I can get a set of those side covers out to be louvered this coming week.  It is the same place that roll our tank material for us at my work plus the guys son works with me so should be good!  Parts are off to the chrome shop and I have confirmed delivery but have not had a response from them yet.  Been about ten business days. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 06:03:08 AM »
Who’s shop is that?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
At my work place. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »
It appears the tanks on these scooters changed a bit from year to year. Or at least from 1957 to 1958.  The shape changed.  I found this tank and it matched some photos of a Scooter.  However,  It was 3/4" to long and had the wrong filler neck.  So I unsoldered it. Removed the 3/4' from the non-seam side and resoldered it back together.  Then added the correct filler neck.  I made a quick die to form a chamfer around the hole on top to allow the solder to flow down in around the neck.  This is the way the neck I took off was made.  Maybe for added strength for the solder to fill in deeper.  After this it fits between the frame pipes as it should.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
Even though the first pics here of this restoration looks somewhat complete the original frame purchase wasn't much of a roller. It didn't have the seat with it but I found this one that is pretty close.  I sand blasted  the springs and repainted them and will reuse the top padding,  Probably will add some more padding on the sides. Plus I have the welting for the edge and marine grade Naugahyde.