Author Topic: Crankshaft identification  (Read 4553 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Crankshaft identification
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
1936 to 38 crank 2-1/4" stroke. Even though this crank has the least amount of counter weight. Due to the crank pin being closer to center of crank with a lighter weight aftermarket rod and piston these engines were close to being ideally balanced. Note! there are no markings on this crank forger is unknown. Simplex did do the machining.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crankshaft identification
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Note! even more weight was added to counterbalance rim is machined different than previous crank. This crank is most desired to use in 39 - 49 engines as it brings engine close to balance.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
This is crank for 52-56 M models with Wico mag it has same counterbalance weight as "L" and "LM". It is the most widely known "M" crank.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
This is most desirable "M" stock Simplex crank as it has the most counterbalance weight Simplex used. It is still not enough to balance out a 125 cc ideally and way short of weight for a 150 cc. This crank began being used when Phelon mags came out. Simplex had to increase weight because Phelon flywheels are much lighter than Wico flywheels. These cranks have wider and larger diameter counterbalance than previous cranks.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »
Great info! I had no idea there was a late M crank.  The Sportsman that I built had a crank with the bigger weight, and additional counterweight was added by Gary Wollard. That was the smoothest running engine I have ever had.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
Excellent , Tom . Thank You , again .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Carl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
Anyone ever do a comparison of Wayne's crankshaft to original ones? I have been running one of his for around ten years but I have never seen another running bike to compare it to. Mine is 53 M/Wico mag.
Carl
Carl,
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
USA

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
Anyone ever do a comparison of Wayne's crankshaft to original ones? I have been running one of his for around ten years but I have never seen another running bike to compare it to. Mine is 53 M/Wico mag.
Carl

Are you running his one piece billet crank or the one with a replacement shaft with the original counterweight?
Rick

Carl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
My crank from Wayne is a one piece crank to the best of my memory. It's been 9 or 10 years since I installed it. Just wondering if I can do better with an original. Didn't know that Wayne sold more than one style of crankshaft. Are there any performance differences between the different shafts.
Thanks,
Carl
Carl,
USA

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »
I have never had one of Wayne’s billet crankshafts, but the one I saw was really nicely made.  Wayne told me they were too expensive to make and therefore changed his method. What he does now is remove the old shaft from the counterweight, make a new shaft, and then has them tig welded together.  I have used 2 of this style with excellent results. I have another going in a motor for my truck.
Rick

Carl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 08:24:28 AM »
As you have had good performance with his crankshafts, I guess that I should leave well enough alone and not worry about looking for something better. Thank your time on my questions.
Sincerely,
Carl
Carl,
USA

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
One of Wayne's rebuilt crankshafts.  This looks like a late M counterweight to me.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
Rick ,

The counter weight , probably . But , the transfer hole seems much bigger than stock .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
Rick ,

The counter weight , probably . But , the transfer hole seems much bigger than stock .

It is only slightly larger, just looks like that because of the weld circle I believe.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm looking at the rod 'pin' for reference .
Side by side , the welded crank seems to have more than a slightly bigger hole :

Maybe it just me ?