Author Topic: double checking year for the title  (Read 1516 times)

J1953

• View Profile
    • Email
double checking year for the title
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:41:40 PM »
Hello everyone, just wanted to make sure I have the year of my bike correct for the title.  Both the serial numbers on the frame and motor fall soundly in the 1956 range on this sites awesome database.  The model differences (also awesome) point to 1956 as well.  Please take a look at the photos and see if this seems right.  The engine is locked up so I didn't assemble it completely for the photo.  Let me know if you need images of anything not shown to aid in dating the motorcycle.
I'm not sure what the button on the left floorboard is except possibly a dimmer switch. 
I would also like to know what was mounted on the handlebars.  Maybe a mirror? 
Lastly, would the model be listed as automatic? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

pd

• View Profile
Re: double checking year for the title
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 05:09:53 AM »
Welcome J1953 . :)

Please post the frame and motor #s , so they can be added to our registry .

From what I'm seeing , I'd call it a '56 .
It wouldn't surprise me if that was a dimmer switch . In cars they were located on the left floorboard .
Not sure what was mounted on the handlebar . By the location , maybe an aftermarket  speedometer , but ???
As for the model , it is an 'M' .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

J1953

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »
Thanks for getting back with me Pete.  I'll call it a Model M instead of Automatic when filling out the title paperwork.

I would like to share the serial numbers of the frame and motor but I'm a little leery.  My concern is rooted in the unknown location of the original title.  I have zero reasons to believe anything bad would come of sharing the numbers.  However, my overactive imagination likes to torment me with unbelievable scenarios.

Jason   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:46:21 AM »
Thanks for getting back with me Pete.  I'll call it a Model M instead of Automatic when filling out the title paperwork.

I would like to share the serial numbers of the frame and motor but I'm a little leery.  My concern is rooted in the unknown location of the original title.  I have zero reasons to believe anything bad would come of sharing the numbers.  However, my overactive imagination likes to torment me with unbelievable scenarios.

Jason   

I’ve heard this said before, but who is going to spend the time and effort to track down exactly who you are, where you live, go to the police and try to convince them the bike was stolen, go to court to get a judgement, all for $3000-5000 a Simplex would sell for?  If anyone was going to try a scam like that, wouldn’t they target something like 1960’s cars with values in the $30,000-50,000 range?

Btw, if there are maybe 10,000 Simplex bikes left in the world, I’d bet not more than several hundred have a title.  Most of these bikes are found in less than pristine condition, what do you reckon became of any paperwork associated with these bikes?

Get out on it and have fun!  If you live anywhere near Portland, Indiana, come to the VMBC meet in July and visit with some of us Simplex guys.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:22:15 AM »
Jason ,

I'm with Rick . You would be the very first to experience what you're afraid of , that I've ever heard of , concerning any bike .
Hopefully you have a Bill Of Sale for the bike . Paper trial ...
Heck , most folks don't even know these bikes exist .

Anyway , if it makes you feel any better , obviously , all of the bikes in the registry have their #s shared on this site . Not all have a title , I'm sure .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:24:44 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

J1953

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
I get what you guys are saying.  I was never really concerned about scammers or someone buying the old title on ebay and trying to claim ownership. I'd be more worried about some odd ball family claim than anything else.  Like some guy finds out it was his granddads or dads and decides his great aunt didn't have the right to sell it way back in 1968 or something like that.  At this point I've got some hang ups about posting that info.  Call me paranoid if you like but the surest way to stay out of trouble is not to get in it after all.  Maybe I'll feel differently about it when I actually have a title in my name.   

I do have a bill a sale and the seller is local.  He owned the bike for 25 years before deciding to sell the project to me.

I'm in Virginia not sure how much Simplex action there is around here.