Author Topic: Automobile Coil on Simplex  (Read 1077 times)

DustyGold

• View Profile
    • Email
Automobile Coil on Simplex
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:05:55 AM »
There is currently a Simplex bike for sale on ebay for $1,999.00. I was looking at the photos of the bike & noticed a car type coil under the gas tank. How does something like that work? Does it take the place of his original magneto? Does anyone know of a wiring diagram showing how one would make such a conversion if need be? Thanks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplex-Servi-Cycle/202792220054?hash=item2f375bb596:g:8ZUAAOSwNbZdliLz

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automobile Coil on Simplex
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »
Who knows if it even works?  It probably has a battery somewhere to fire it.  I'm not sure why anyone would rig up something like that when the correct coils are available for the Phelon magneto.
Rick

DustyGold

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Who knows if it even works?  It probably has a battery somewhere to fire it.  I'm not sure why anyone would rig up something like that when the correct coils are available for the Phelon magneto.

That's what I was thinking to some extent concerning a battery. But I think a good % of teenagers owned these bikes back in the day when they where no big deal. Maybe some "mad scientist" teen was trying to "improve" or just making do with what was available.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
Hmm ,  that looks to be a Wico flywheel and stator plate . According to the motor # ( M20518B ) and the note in our registry , it should be a Phelon magneto .

What a cobbled mess . The original plug wires just taped and left hanging where ever .
Other wiring seems to be old appliance type cord .

As for the bike working in it's current configuration , who knows .
I don't know how it's wired to work , if it actually does .
I don't see a battery or connections or any place that might have held one , so ???

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:48:31 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »
Pete, you are 100% correct on Wico flywheel.  I was thinking about the one Connor is working on.  The correct 2 plug coil for those is not available, but the cushion 6 volt works perfectly firing one plug. 
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »
Pete, you are 100% correct on Wico flywheel.  I was thinking about the one Connor is working on.  The correct 2 plug coil for those is not available, but the cushion 6 volt works perfectly firing one plug. 

Rick ,

I'm sure you meant to type Cushman , instead of 'cushion' ( darn auto correct , anyway ;) ) .
And , agreed . I'm currently running a Cushman coil , and a single plug , with no problems .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)