Author Topic: lawnmower  (Read 1850 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
lawnmower
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
Another mystery solved!   

pd

• View Profile
Re: lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:22:19 AM »
Tom ,

Do you know when these mowers were offered ? And , how many were made ?

Even if it was at the end of corporate life , it seems to have been ahead of it's time .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 06:12:53 AM »
I was waiting for Bob53 to chime in.  One of these engines came up on Ebay awhile back. It was interesting to me but declined on it.  But Bob did buy it.  Maybe he knows something.

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 06:32:02 AM »
Hey Tom, This isn't like the one I bought. Mine is a regular horizontal shaft motor just line on the servi-cycle. But with a full aluminum cover instead of being open. Next time I'm at storage I will take a pic and post it. This appears to be a vertical shaft model like a lawnboy. I've never seen one of these before now. Bet it cuts real nice.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 07:54:38 AM »

I was the designated 'lawn mower' of our family , when I was a kid . So , I had an interest in any powered mower .
First , I used a push reel type , followed by a Reo reel power mower .
Then came a bare bones rotary push mower .
I don't believe I've ever seen one of these Simplex mowers .

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
Pete, when I was driving in the country a few years ago I saw an Amish girl pushing a reel mower without a motor on it.  But when I looked at the barn, the guys had a Honda engine on the hay elevator to put hay up in the barn.  I didn't think that was fair - they could've shared their motor with the girl.   :D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
Pete, when I was driving in the country a few years ago I saw an Amish girl pushing a reel mower without a motor on it.  But when I looked at the barn, the guys had a Honda engine on the hay elevator to put hay up in the barn.  I didn't think that was fair - they could've shared their motor with the girl.   :D

She might have been being punished for using the phone that they have in a little shed in the ditch . LOL

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:27 AM »
Hey Bob!  Been to the storage shed yet??  Anxious to see pics of the one I let get away!

rldebuse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
The Wico magneto listing shows they were 3.5 hp single cylinder made from 1950-53.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 08:42:27 PM »
I was drifting through old, classified ads on Smokestak and came across some MS carbs.  An MS93A and MS93C so correct for early direct drives. I contacted the seller so that I could buy them. He asked me if I was interested in a Simplex gas tank too.  Well...YEAH! This is what he had. I bought it! 

It is a match to the lawnmower brochure above.  If you zoom in on the lower image of the brochure you will see that the decals match.   Who knew!?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 07:51:22 AM »
Nice catch , Tom . ;)