Author Topic: 1955 Anniversary Bike  (Read 4545 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1955 Anniversary Bike
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
Funny you should ask!  I have spent the last couple of days working on the tins for this bike.  I like doing the metal work, but not the bodywork.  Working with body filler is dirty work.  I am just about at the point where I need to put on a couple of coats of polyester primer; the problem being it is too cold outside to spray in the garage.  I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Check out the front fender.  I tried to get a picture of where it was mashed at the mounting point.  I have metal worked it to the point that it doesn't need any filler.  I think a couple coats of poly primer, sand it out and it should be good to go.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
Gotta take the biter with the sweet , Rick .
Looks like things are progressing nicely .

How is the poly primer better than ???

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »
Gotta take the biter with the sweet , Rick .
Looks like things are progressing nicely .

How is the poly primer better than ???

Poly primer is like sprayable bondo.  I takes a huge noozle in the spray gun.  I tried spraying it 1 time out of my good gun with the biggest noozle available, which is a 1.8.  No go! I bought a cheap HF gun, about $10 with a coupon, and drilled the nozzle to 2.6mm on my lathe. This worked fantastic. Sprays a nice pattern.  I spray on about 3 coats of poly primer and then block it out.  This fills all of the pitting we seem to get on this old iron. Using Hi build urethane would take twice as many coats, with blocking every 2 coats.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 05:12:23 AM »
Interesting and definitely good to know .

That must be some pretty thick stuff .
You could just about spray roof coating with a 2.6 mm nozzle . LOL

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 05:04:41 AM »
Your lack of passion to do tin work isn't evident!  Mine on the other hand shows a bit!! Strange how I have the patience to chase around .001" or two for hours but not so willing to put the necessary elbow grease in to prep work for painting.  I think painting as you do is really a better outcome from powder coating. For me, powder coating has been very affordable.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 06:22:01 AM »
I find that you can not get as good a finish with powder coating as with paint. I don’t think there are many shops that will spend the time to put on multiple coats of powder primer and block sand it out between coats.  If you did, the cost would be crazy! I love the powder coat on the frames and wheels though, as it is super durable.

I don’t keep track of how much time I spend sanding on a bike, but I would guess in the neighborhood of 20 hours between primer coats and wet sanding the finish coat.  Add another couple of hours to buff it out for that oh so deeeeeep shine!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:26:25 AM by RickS »
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
Finally got the weather to cooperate, so I put the tins in primer today!  Now on to block sanding them smooth.  I hope to have the bike in paint by early June and ready for Portland. 

I hope everyone is working on their projects as it's only about 10 weeks to the big show!

Bob, did you spot the '39 in the background?
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
Great incentive to get crackin' the whip!

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 09:22:02 PM »
Rick, The 39 looks sad maybe a new home would make it feel better. Hope they still have Portland. I understand their supposed to make a decision sometime in June. Anxiously waiting to see what happens. I'm sure the 55 will look as awesome as the rest of your projects have been. Hope all you northern guys are safe unaffected by the virus and everything is going well. Bob

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 04:28:45 AM »
My family is all good out here.  We have been mostly staying home, as everything is closed.  My wife and daughter are both teachers working from home, as they just cancelled the rest of the school year.

I will probably start on the '39 in the fall. I have most of the parts for it, I think! 

See you and Mike at Portland!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 06:58:35 AM »
After about 6 hours of block sanding, I have everything ready to paint.  Now I just need to get paint and have some nice weather to spray it.

Get cracking' boys! 
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
Finally got a day where the weather was nice enough to paint.  After a couple of days of curing, I will wet sand the paint and buff it out.

Anyone else working on any Simplex projects?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 12:21:19 PM »
That red is looking pretty deep/rich , Rick .

I'm 'saving' the Simplex for when we get settled for the Summer . After living outdoors every minute since I redid it , it can use another redo . :(

Anyway , we plan on heading North about the end of this month , unless things change again .

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
Rick, That red really pops. Going to be another beautiful restoration. You've already set the bar so high it's what we've come to expect from you. Keep on what your doing. Hope they have Portland where we can see it in person. Bob

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
I color sanded all the tins today, and I buffed out the headlight.  Looking pretty decent!  I will work on the other pieces tomorrow. 
Rick