Author Topic: 1940 Serviglide  (Read 14108 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
1940 Serviglide
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
I have been thinking of an approach of how to go about restoring this bike.  i have decided to photograph every part as I received them.  To have a bunch of photos to refer back to as the restoration goes on.  The manual is very helpful as it has already uncovered the myth of what the little ring was for just behind the seat.  Choke knob! 

So I will just begin at the beginning.  First picture is of the lean release where the original owner paid the bike in full.  Shows matching engine number.  Next pic is a receipt that shows he bought a rod and other parts.  The story is he 'blew a rod in '48!' I guess the receipt proves that.  Other photo shows his payment receipts as he made payments towards owning the bike. 

Lots of pictures of the frame.  Pay close attention to the small clips (or hooks) back near the rear wheel drop-outs Those are what the springs hook on that holds the "hood" in place.  The hood is three sided in that the grill in front of the engine is attached to each side cover.  These hooks are what makes it a 1940.  Kind of strange as it is very clear to what the purchase date was.  ( I have that first payment receipt)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1940 Serviglide
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
Wico is an FW-982D.  Flywheel measures 6 1/2".   A 3/4" tube fits into the exhaust port nicely.  Not sure what to make of the air intake tube.  tried to zoom in on photos and it appears it was held on by a spring.  Maybe added by the original owner.  Not sure how all of it fits in there yet.  ( assembling components now to see)                                         

Original generator needs some repair but have donor generators that will help with that.

Rodney had this engine running as is.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Pertaining to the frame the manual says they came silver standard.  But black could be special order.  Somewhere it was sprayed red after it had been taken apart.  Kickstand mount shows this as the red had not been scratched through there.  Clearly a lot of silver is evident and certainly shows that on the underneath indicating it may at one time been silver.

The original kickstand had been repaired but I already had a 1940 in my pile.  Kickstand marked B.C. Jiffy 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:16:20 PM by kartjockey »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
Tires are both 26X2.25.  Both brakes are 4" diameter brake drum.  Spokes are .105"  instead of .120" like later bikes.(bob kerr knew this!)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:08:25 AM by kartjockey »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »
 Both brakes are 4" diameter brake drum.  Spokes are .105"  instead of .120" like later bikes. There is a grease fitting in the center of each hub.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 08:12:22 PM »
MS style Tillotson.  Carb stamped MS93D. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 05:08:07 AM »
Tires are both 26X2.25.  Both brakes are 4" diameter brake drum.  Spokes are .105"  instead of .120" like later bikes.(bob kerr knew this!)

I knew this too, and Wayne supplied a new set in Stainless Steel!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:29:30 AM »
Out early this morning to mock up the rear half to better understand this bike.

Filled gas tank to check capacity.  5 quarts to the bottom of filler neck.  Photos certainly show the need for the odd shaped gas tank.  At only 5 qts. perhaps they were trying to get all the fuel they could fit.  The copper fuel line is interesting!

Also wanting to understand huge notch in motor plate.  It seems some notching may have been necessary for belt clearance but also looks roughly cut out like maybe it was extended more towards the engine pulley.

I put a rod in place for the brake rod.  Looks like it can be straight with no bends right to the backing plate.

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:27 AM »
And so it begins. What a cool winter project. Tom, is the headlight a miller unit like the generator. That's what the earlier bikes had on them. The light and the generator are hard to find, but come up on ebay occasionally. Bob

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 06:22:33 AM »
Great documentation , Tom . Please keep it up .

Interesting tread design on the tires . First I've seen like that .
Is that light generator at all reparable ? Looks a little too well used . :(

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 06:53:27 AM »
Tom, is that the original rope drive?  LOL
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
I just checked my 39, it also has the grease fittings on the hubs.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 08:35:50 AM »
It is believed this bike was born with the headlight that i got with it.  "the Fog-Master"  Los Angeles.  I might end up using the Miller as it would match the brochure.  It's well known that Simplex  used a variety of headlights.

The broken generator part can be replaced by the tail light style generator as they interchange.  I believe the Miller model
11 R.2.  is correct.  The other with the built in tail light is not.  Zoomed in to see on brochure to look. 

I was searching and bought a few headlights from the UK long before i bought this bike.  They were made in England. I understand they had the battery switch option because they were required to have parking lights in Europe.  (generator would be stopped)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:51:22 PM by kartjockey »

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
Those are the correct miller headlights. Looks like really nice examples. Ebay has the generators sometimes. I always watch, I'll let you know if I see one. Bob

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 06:06:10 AM »
Very interesting tail light array .
Are all three parts , are they all lights or ???

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)