Author Topic: 1940 Serviglide  (Read 14185 times)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1940 Serviglide
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2020, 07:05:08 AM »
Tom, I guess it depends on where your going with the restoration. Your quality of things might require Heather's Leathers. Be nice to see this at Portland next year. Bob

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
Definitely will be having a new cover made.  Looks to have been black horse hide.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2020, 05:28:42 PM »
I took apart the Miller Dynamo.  I had planned on using a different housing for the wheel end but once I got it apart I found that the screw boss for the flip mechanism was broken away.  So I am on the hunt!   

Last picture shows  the screw and flip hook.  In my other photos there is a noticeable hole on the outside.  Turns out the is where the screw boss broke away.  I guess one too many nighttime telegrams!!!   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2020, 04:48:28 AM »
Looks like you weren't the first one to get inside that dynamo , Tom .

Can't fab a new boss in place to make it work ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 02:38:11 PM »
Getting parts lined up to get off to the chrome shop.  Plus I found a place in Flint that will zinc chromate parts for me.  AND...the serviglide engine has spark!   

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Spark , that's kind of important . ;)

Have you redone the motor yet ?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »
Haven't  went through the engine yet but will be.  While it was still together I wanted to spin it over with a drill motor to check for spark.  It did have spark as Rodney said it did.  I found a couple of replacement coils just in case.  The guy was definitely an electrical buff.  Had advertised them as being tested and came with test measurements!

Concentrating on getting everything cleaned up to get off to the chrome shop and the zinc platers.  The zinc guy said what ever I can get in a 5 gal pail is one price so I have gathered various items to take there besides the Simplex stuff.

I will be sand blasting the fenders and braces tomorrow.  Frame will get blasted this coming weekend.

I have new spokes and even bought red rim strips to match up with the original ones that were on it.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
Red rim strips, now that is a detail that no one will ever see. Tom, you are the man!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2020, 06:14:31 AM »
Tom ,

Please post the coil descriptions and measurements . Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places , but , I haven't found any measurements for any of the coils , anywhere .

And , red tube protectors ... That's paying attention to detail .
It's the little things that make the big things run right . ;)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
I recently got a bunch of the parts sandblasted.  Removal of the old paint uncovered some of Simplexes signature brazing that the early bikes seemed to possess a lot of back then.   Even the duel tail ight exhibits brazing. Rear fender is deserving of some repair for sure.  It looks like fender braces were held in place with #10 screws originally but then somewhere along the line they were replaced 1/4" bolts.  Unique braces made to clear sheave.

Take notice of the sheave.  Fewer mounting holes than the later versions.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 06:02:16 PM »
Check out how clean the carb body came.  I soaked it in a carb cleaner.  I tried to note any difference from the MS93D to the MS93E.  Other than the E having a throttle stop pin I couldn't find any difference.  The brass components were plated though. Maybe the revision letter was changed to designate age.  Don't know. 

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
Frame is blasted!  Lots of brazing uncovered!   Also corks in the holes by the seat.  I have new corks and need to go over the frame but it will be left as it is.    The tube on the bottom was packed full of 2 cycle oil smelling dirt!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
I worked on the frame today.  Some obvious deburring and also fixed the detent holes for the kickstand.  I made one throttle cable ferrule and created a reproduction of the cloth covered cables that Simplex used.  i couldn't quite find any manufactured repros but did find them for bigger motorcycles.  Also making spring cups for the springer front end.  I took the spokes out of both wheels and plan to ship all of my parts to chrome shop after the first of the year.

Rebuilt the dimple on the kickstand.

Contemplating necessary repairs for the air tube.  I wished I knew more about the air tube and air filter set-up for a Serviglide.

Old cable pics are from my '48 and second cable is from the Serviglide.   For comparison.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2020, 06:31:19 PM »
Tom ,

Probably not exactly what you're looking for , but have you seen fabric heat-shrink tubing ?
It's not the same pattern as on those cables . Maybe worth a look .

https://www.google.com/search?q=fabric+heat-shrink+tubing&newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk03ztSPtz33jwy_cV4dHzc9CdgQUzw:1608517621915&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju_N-Lg97tAhVGRKwKHUhBDM8Q_AUoAnoECAUQBA&biw=1315&bih=622

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
Intriguing.  I had not seen that!