Author Topic: 1940 Serviglide  (Read 14126 times)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1940 Serviglide
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2024, 07:41:16 AM »
Rick, We should both have wheels this year.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2024, 06:29:32 AM »
Here in the first few pictures I tried to show the rotary valve as it rotates.  Shows how the separate hole and slot come in to view.

Next shots are just of block in position.  Looking back I wish I would have mocked the motor up completely along with the rear wheel first.  It would have been easier while constructing everything and not have to worry about not scratching the paint.  All turning out ok but would have helped things.

I tested the spark after assembly.  It jumped .125" gap and appeared like it could have jumped a wider gap than that. I own a meter that reads capacitance.  I checked the condenser that was in the engine when I got it. I compared this to some NOS ones and also to the Wico book.  Seems to me if they are close they work.  I could have used the one this engine had in it but by now I had a NOS one installed and left it.

Last pics  the motor has the throttle rod installed and is ready to test run.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 07:27:39 AM by kartjockey »

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2024, 07:11:58 AM »
Pics of the glide prior to installing the engine.  The way I made the assembly stand I couldn't put the front wheel on yet.  After receiving the license registration from Bob Filip I decided to go back to the Ebay seller I had bought from before so as I could have a license plate done to match the numbers.  Correct colors for Michigan 1940.

As I was taking the old cover off of the seat I threw the tacks in a cup. Then when I got the new cover back, I decided to just use them again. The way it was is the way it is!

Proof lights work!  Plus, pics before and after of the generator.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2024, 08:00:31 AM »
 The re-build looks to be coming along nicely , Tom . 8)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2024, 06:05:11 AM »
What a beauty!!! That's definitely going to the exhibit hall at Portland. Bob

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2024, 09:49:04 AM »
Super Job.  That is really cool.
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2024, 05:41:07 PM »
 Some of the final pieces to be plated.  After reading the manual for the Nth time I learned that the front brake adjuster had thumb wheels rather than nuts.  These are my version of those! 

The spark plug wire clamp had an 80-year-old grommet on there BUT I found some on a marine site that were a match.  So, it got a new one.

One more view of the ignition before installing the flywheel.

Lastly, showing my assembly stand.  I fired the engine on the same stand.  I used the rope starter pulley from my 1949 Firestone outboard as it bolted right on to the three center holes.  After that I was able to pull start it as with any engine.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2024, 06:05:55 PM »
Pic of my replacement condenser strip.  Someone 'saved' it long ago.  Anything to get going!  It measured .010" thick.  I used some brass shim stock to make the replacement.

Look at the above picture to see it installed. 

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2024, 05:51:19 AM »
That looks like some more metal artwork. Nicely done. Bob