Author Topic: Is this the wrong kicker for K model?  (Read 576 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
Is this the wrong kicker for K model?
« on: November 20, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »
Good evening,
I am wondering if this is the wrong kicker for the K model?  The centerline of the pitch radius is too big for the crankshaft centerline.
Maybe this is for the bolt on type.  The only picture I can find of the kicker side of the K is the fuzzy publication Servi-Gram and the bend in the arm is different.
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this the wrong kicker for K model?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:06:51 PM »
I’m not sure what year they switched from the curved shaft to the straight shaft on the kick starter, but it doesn’t matter from an operational point of view. The issue is the links are probably homemade and of incorrect length.  There should be no bolts and whatever else that is holding the links on to the starter.  It should be held together with rivets.  It looks like somebody hacked something together.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
Good afternoon,
Thank you for catching the matter of the links, they are longer than my M model.  I see that the part numbers are the same on all models for the links and sector gear.
This caused me to do some measuring because this kicker does fit my M model as far as pitch radius.

I measured the center distance of crank to kicker pivot shaft and the M is about 3/16" farther apart.  I think if I make the correct links for this it will fit the pitch radius on my K model, but I think it is for the type that has the bolted on kicker shaft because since it is bent down, there will not be enough stroke to kick start the bike.

I did find that a curved up kicker is used on the K model and will see if I can find one of those.  I wish I had checked this sooner, I have had 25 years to find the right one.

Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
Scooter, all the kickers I have seen are interchangeable throughout all the years.  Swap your Model M and K kickers and see what happens. Btw, I’ve done it.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »
Thank you for the reply.  I tried swapping them, the M does not fit.  I am pretty sure that if I put the correct link length on this  kicker if will fit.

Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »
According to the manual, part #1975 is the correct kick pedal for late 48, J, K, and early L. I believe this is a curved shaft pedal.  Part # 1970 is the kick pedal, also curved, for H and early 48 models. I believe the only difference is the width where the pedal rides on the 3/4” shaft. I seem to remember narrowing one to fit on a later bike.

The sector gear and the links are all the same length.

Post some pictures of the mounting shaft. Is it in the same spot as it would be on a model M?

Looking at the above pictures, I think your links are not the same length on the front and back.  Any chance the holes in the kicker were redrilled also?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:36:41 AM by Ricks »
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
Comparison photos.  Definitely same measurements.  Including length of kicker arm.   

Small straight kicker for comparison.  Must be early one!  Kicker arm is one inch shorter than others.

BTW.  The 'model K brochure' posted in the brochures section offers some logic to PDs theory of the casing reacting against the release mechanism.   

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
Thank you for the pictures,
I made some links with 1 1/8" centers like the ones on my M and the kicker works.   My kicker we are working on looks just like your longer straight kicker and it looks like mine may have been heated and bent down.  The holes are a little bigger than .312.

My M model kicker looks just like your shorter straight one.

I could use this to start the bike, but it would have to be leaned way to the left to have enough stroke.  I need a curved up one or maybe straighten this on back up.
Attached are images of kicker installed and pivot shaft.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:11:46 PM by Scooter4 »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 05:12:31 PM »
Tom, I’d love to try that short one on my truck.  The trucks don’t lean, therefore the kicker hits the ground, not allowing full stroke. If you remember, bring it to Portland. I promise to give it back! Lol
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »
I was curious, so I just checked the 3 Wheel Truck manual to see if they used a shorter kicker.  No such luck, they show the same 1977 part number as all the models from the L to the end of production, except the sportsman’s with the internal kicker.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 05:43:31 AM »
I will bring it!