Author Topic: K model restoration  (Read 712 times)

Scooter4

• View Profile
K model restoration
« on: June 13, 2022, 05:22:48 PM »
Good evening,
Attached are images of the K model I (and also you for helping) have been working on.  This is where I wound up with what I have and figure it is time to move it to the restoration section.
I planning to paint it this year if time permits. I typically fix bikes up nice enough to where I am reluctant to ride them anymore, but I plan to ride this.

I prefer it be more correct, but for now, this is what I have.  The tail light, seat pan, kicker, flywheel cover and rocker pedal are wrong.
I could easily make a correct rocker, but left this one that is Late L ratchet with the K and early L detent cup welded to it as part of the history of this bike because I believe a owner did it years ago to solve a problem.

The flywheel cover came with the pile and appears to went to a model that did not have a hole so no kicker.  Since someone already put a hole in it, I used it and made a pinion cover for it.

The seat pan is 40's Harley and a little big.  I may cut it down, but if I leave it original size and stitch a cover for it, at least I can still put it on a Harley if I get a Simplex seat.

Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
Re: K model restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:32:48 AM »
 Gotta love it .
And , the seat is close enough . I think you'll like it , once you start riding .
What paint color(s) are you thinking ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 04:43:23 PM »
Good evening,
I plan to paint all black. I love lots of chrome, but not on tanks or fenders.  I am going to take the wheels apart and paint the spokes and pulley clips cadmium color.  Not sure if Simplex did them with the same type of black paint on all parts, but I may do the rocker and other brackets in satin.  Flat for the exhaust and cadmium color for linkage.  Shiny silver for handle bars.  I like to break the finishes up.  If I find out all the original finishes for the K model, then I may stick to that.
Thank you,
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 04:32:44 AM »
Sounds interesting .
Be sure to post pics .

Didn't the factory offer any color paint for and extra 5 bucks ?
Maybe that wasn't until later .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
Pete, I think you could order any color in the late 1930's.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »
Pete, I think you could order any color in the late 1930's.

OK , Rick .
Good to know . I wasn't sure when that started .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »
According to Wollard’s book, any color was available in 1938. How accurate that is, is anybodies guess.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
Good evening,
I may reconsider the color then.  I will have to think about it because they do also look sharp in black.  I will have plenty of time to decide while I clean parts up.
Scooter

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
Good afternoon,
does any one know if the motor mount hole location that is recessed supposed to be shimmed?
Please let me know.
Thank you,
Scooter

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 07:37:07 PM »
I have noticed some frames like that. I looked at all of my blocks including an L block.  None of them had a provision made onto the block to compensate for that recess.  You will definitely need to put a spacer there to prevent warping the base when the engine is tightened to the mount.

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 03:45:54 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
Maybe that is for the three legged chair idea and was done as an attempt to deal with the welding causing the frame mount surface to not be flat. 
I may try to shim it, but I bet that would be difficult.  Perhaps the bolt is just supposed to be tightened like the others?  That is what I did when I put together the mechanical restoration to run it.
Seems odd though and I have not found a mention in manuals.
Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
Maybe that is for the three legged chair idea and was done as an attempt to deal with the welding causing the frame mount surface to not be flat. 
I may try to shim it, but I bet that would be difficult.  Perhaps the bolt is just supposed to be tightened like the others?  That is what I did when I put together the mechanical restoration to run it.
Seems odd though and I have not found a mention in manuals.
Thank you,
Scooter

I just slipped a washer in the one bike I had that had that cutout. Worked fine.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 06:42:30 PM »
I'd do as Rick has ... slip a washer the same thickness as the plate in that cutout .
Best to keep things flat and flush .
If you went without , I can see that corner motor mount either bending or even cracking .

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:56:35 AM by pd »

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: K model restoration finally done
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
Good afternoon,
The K model is finally done. I had to paint it twice because I tried a different brand of less expensive paint and had orange peel when mixed to instructions and fish eye when thinned to melt good.  I use acrylic enamel with activator.  The paint shoots thick when mixed at the instructions.

I learned something with this color.  I cant wipe off the dirt fast enough to take a picture.  I have never had anything all black.  I like how it looks, but would not want an all black car.

I appreciate your help.  I may start looking for an earlier model, but I bet parts are impossible to find. 

Thank you,
Scooter

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 01:31:22 PM »
Looking good Scooter!   You are right about parts for early models. I’m working on my 1939, and parts are just about impossible to find.  I think Wayne can provide most parts for 1941 and later, but 1940 and earlier, you are on your own.
Rick