Author Topic: Flywheel install  (Read 376 times)

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
Flywheel install
« on: April 05, 2023, 12:16:07 PM »
I'm in serious need of some pointers.

I'm attempting to put the flywheel on my Simplex engine and am struggling.  When I try to put the woodruff key in the crankshaft slot the spring behind the points cam shoves the cam forward and dislodges the key.

Something not right here, but I can't figure it out.

Help!!

pd

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel install
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 02:04:09 PM »
I'm in serious need of some pointers.

I'm attempting to put the flywheel on my Simplex engine and am struggling.  When I try to put the woodruff key in the crankshaft slot the spring behind the points cam shoves the cam forward and dislodges the key.

Something not right here, but I can't figure it out.

Help!!

You might try applying a small piece of scotch tape to the key and then press it into the keyway .
That might be enough to hold it in place long enough to get the job done and any tape pushed 'aside' wouldn't hurt anything .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 02:29:38 PM »
Post a picture with all the parts together except the flywheel. I’ve put many flywheels on and have never seen this issue.
Rick

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 08:59:20 AM »
Attached are pics.  The one of the bare crankshaft shows what appears to be 2 key slots end to end.  The points cam fits nicely into the inside one, but the spring behind the cam pushed the cam over the end of the outside key slot, preventing it from seating in the shaft.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
The shallow slot is for the cam, as you suspected. The key usually holds tight enough in the slot to hold back the slight pressure of the spring, allowing you to slide the flywheel on. Option one is like PD says, put a piece of paper or something to tighten up the key while you slide the flywheel on. Option 2, cut a slight amount of the spring, to relieve a little pressure.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 09:53:42 AM »
Hmm , I see the keyway has been wallowed out on the left side . That should be repaired .
I had the same on my crankshaft . I welded the left side of the keyway and had to hand file it back to proper size . No more wobble of the key .

I also see the taper that the flywheel rests on is pretty pitted . How does the corresponding area of the flywheel look ?
In order for a better hold of the flywheel , you should consider lapping the flywheel to the crank tapper . That should smooth both surfaces , resulting in a much better fit . It's that fit that actually holds the flywheel from turning . The key is there to simplify timing .

As for your spring pushing the cam outward , try the tape I suggested .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 09:55:25 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks, folks. 
The flywheel is a refurbished one I got from Wayne so its in excellent shape.  I may lap the two just to get them friendly with each other.

I'm probably going to repair the keyway and keep the tape option just in case.

Thanks, again.  Most helpful.