Author Topic: Clutch Arm Length  (Read 289 times)

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
Clutch Arm Length
« on: May 12, 2023, 10:03:14 AM »
As shown in the pics, someone has bolted/welded an extension on the end of my clutch arm.  I don't know why anyone would do that, but before I start sawing off chunks, can anyone tell me what the correct length of this piece should be?
Thanks.

Scooter4

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Arm Length
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »
Good morning,
That is an L model clutch and the bolt in the added on part is probably in the original hole for the shifter rod.  That would be about correct.
Refer to attached image one of the folks on this site shared with me. Mine is different, so I can not measure it for you.
Good luck,
Scooter

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 09:41:36 AM »
Thanks.  That's most helpful.  As I'm taking this thing apart< I'm starting to make some interesting discoveries.  Seems as if this bike has been down on the clutch side. I finally noticed that the "crash" bar has been repaired near where it attaches to the steering head.  That would also explain the ugly repair to the clutch arm and a few other misaligned things, methinks.
Thanks, again.

One other question.  You mentioned that the clutch arm is an L model.  Folks wiser than me about these bikes tell me it's a 1952 M model.  Are clutch arms for these models interchangeable?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 09:44:27 AM by ramwing7 »

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 06:43:53 PM »
Good evening,
Your motor might be M, but the rest of the bike is not. It looks L model.

The L and M motors look similar.

The M has automatic clutch and does not need the pedal.  I do not know if the pedals will interchange as far as the mount bosses and clearance.  The pedal you have appears correct for you bike.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 04:33:25 AM »
Scooter, I’m not sure that is 100% correct. They built shifter bikes in 1953, along side the automatics. These bikes had model M engines.  They were designated Model M. They had either the 1952 tank decal or the SIMPLEX 125 decal.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 06:21:03 AM »
Good morning,
I am glad you pointed that out, I did not know that.  Interesting they would change the models so often.
Thank you,
Scooter

ramwing7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 12:19:08 PM »
That's good to know.  It clears up a lot of the confusion I've been experiencing about decals.
Thanks.