Author Topic: Ignition Switch  (Read 3872 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ignition Switch
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
My bike doesn't have one.  Can't really tell where or how it might have been mounted or attached (there is one short wire with a plastic coupling coming out of the mag that's not hooked to anything).  From the photo's, it appears the switch is in a tall housing & mounted near the head bearing nut???  I can figure out which wire is supposed to go to the switch but don't know what goes on at the switch end (does it ground, or un-ground the ignition coil)?
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Generally a kill switch will go across the ignition points. So when it is switched on it is like the points never open. One side of the switch goes to ground. So maybe the Simplex ignition switch just switches to ground like a kill switch.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
I should mention my '48 has a compression relief(left handlebar grip, twists) so it didn't come with an ignition switch. Look at the exploded view in the parts catalog to see the mechanism.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Scratch that! I think the picture of the compression release is in the '47 manual.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »
Generally a kill switch will go across the ignition points. So when it is switched on it is like the points never open. One side of the switch goes to ground. So maybe the Simplex ignition switch just switches to ground like a kill switch.

That is exactly how it works.  Wayne has a Key switch available or you could just us a toggle or push button switch.
Rick

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
I wonder if the ignition switch were all keyed alike,maybe if so I could buy or make a key when the time comes, could someone post a picture of a key?
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
The replacement key switch Wayne is selling is a lawnmower switch that he re-works with a new back side & terminals.  You might see if the switch from your craftsman riding mower will fit.

I'll post a picture of the key I got with the new switch tomorrow.  It doesn't look like my sears mower keys.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Had a few budlights and made me a couple keys after seeing a pic of one on ebay, hope none of you guys work for the treasury. LOL
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
Key
Jeremy c.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
That's pretty cool!

BudLight, is that even beer? 

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »
Jeremy, does your switch have "notches" for the different positions of the switch?  The one I got from Wayne doesn't.  I forgot to ask him about it when i talked to him last week.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
Three positions, yeah that guy on YouTube said four but mine is definitely three, never had it turn till a few minutes ago
Jeremy c.

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
Scratch that it is 4 three clicks wasn't counting 1st position , 1 to many budlights maybe
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
Talked to Wayne today & he thinks he just goofed on mine.  He said mine was the first one he built (he takes a lawnmower switch & re-works it with a new back plate that matches the original switch).  I'll be sending it back for him to work it over again.
Mike Sal